Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2011 - 'Error: Unhandled Exception' when opening files

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
DennisDM
1550 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor 2011 - 'Error: Unhandled Exception' when opening files

I have succesfully installed Autodesk Inventor 2011 (Student License) on my Windows 7 (64-bit) operating system without any errors.
I can open Inventor 2011, but when I try to open a new or existing file, Inventor suddenly closes and the 'Autodesk Inventor Error Report'-window opens, giving the following error:

Error: Unhandled Exception

When I go to my project folders and try to open any inventor file, the following message appears:

"Inventor.exe needs to register with he operating system and the following programs (Explorer) are running and may
prevent registration from succesfully completing. Autodesk recommends terminating the offending processes to ensure
proper registration. Terminate these processes before continuing with the registration?"

If i cick 'Yes', the problem remains.

I've tried reinstalling, following the intructions carefully (installed as adminstrator), without succes. I installed both service packs. I keep having the same problems, whlle in the past, it has been working perfectly, but I lost it because of hardware problems, which are now resolved.

What can be the problem here? What am I doing wrong here?

Technical Info:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz

4,00 GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Greetings,

Dennis

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
EScales
in reply to: DennisDM

Try right-clicking on the desktop icon and choose "Run as Administrator".  Also, I usually set my User Account Control settings to "Never Notify".  It's always a good idea to have administrative rights, when possible.

Also, it is recommended that you disable any antivirus or firewall software when installing.  Sometimes they will prevent Inventor from editing the registry correctly.

Message 3 of 9
DennisDM

I already tried that, didn't help... I'm really deperate, because I need the software urgently!

Message 4 of 9
EScales

Have you tried doing a repair?  In the Add/Remove Programs, click change on Inv 2011, choose Repair.

I'm also assuming you've tried rebooting the computer after you did the installation?

Message 5 of 9
DennisDM
in reply to: EScales

I tried rebooting, repairing, reinstalling, uninstalling and installing again. None of that worked.

Message 6 of 9
EScales

When you said that you uninstalled before, did you just go to Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall or did you do a "Clean Uninstall"?  In cases like this, Autodesk recommends that you do a "clean uninstall" which removes any trace of all Autodesk software, including cleaning out the registry.

There is an automated way and a manual way of doing this.  See the link below for detailed instructions.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?id=14893355&linkID=9242018&siteID=123112

And, as before, make sure you have admin rights and have turned off any antivirus software before doing the new install.

Message 7 of 9
blair
in reply to: EScales

Do the clean un-install as stated. Make sure your .NET is version  4.0, log in as the Administrator, set the UAC slider to it's lowest setting and re-install Inventor. Depending on the Anti-Virus software you have, you may need to stop it's Services while you install Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 9
DennisDM

I did all the steps that are listed above, but I keep having the same issues. I ran everything as administrator, disabled the antivirus and did the clean uninstall and installed it again, rebooted and ran inventor.exe as administrator, but the problem remains.

1 difference: When I try to open inventor by opening an existing .prt-file, the following message doesn't appear anymore:

"Inventor.exe needs to register with he operating system and the following programs (Explorer) are running and may
prevent registration from succesfully completing. Autodesk recommends terminating the offending processes to ensure
proper registration. Terminate these processes before continuing with the registration?"

Now it wil open inventor, but immedeatly close it again without displaying the part.

Message 9 of 9
blair

A good chance something is causing the Windows Registry not to update. Try installing the Service Packs, but I think you have other issues with your machine.

Trying having an IT person run ComboFix and check for any Malware or Virus's.

Are you opening Inventor first and then opening the part from within Inventor?

You may want to post this in the Installation/Registration user forum.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report