Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2010 - Frame Generator custom part numbers

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
grim2020
3751 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2010 - Frame Generator custom part numbers

I've been through the forums but nothing seems to answer what I'm looking for.

Inventor 2010 sp3 on XP sp3

My client uses part numbers similar to XXXX-101, XXXX-102 etc. where XXXX represents a job and 101 to whatever represents the part number.  Now we add in frame generator.  As per standard steel detailing practice identical parts need identical part numbers.  Frame generator makes 1 part, 1 file and ignores duplicates.  I can easily assign a part number to each part as it's generated but I want to roll the duplicate parts up.  How do I do that AND keep one of the part numbers?

I am able to create a BOM that groups by "Stock Number" and "G_L" but the Part Number now comes up as varies.  What am i missing?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
grim2020
in reply to: grim2020

Actually if I edit the BOM and use substitution Part Number for Part Number, nothing shows up for the part Number field.

Message 3 of 7
BMiller63

Edit the BOM from the assembly and stay on the Model Data tab,

In the Description column cell (or another of your choice) for the first part use the experssion builder to enter: =<Stock Number> x <G_L>

Use the click and drag functionailty (like MS Excel)  to fill the cells below it with the same forumula,

Click the Description header to sort the BOM by this new combo of stock# and length,

Create a custom field called Mark#, or something similar,

Enter the mark numbers for each of the differing stock# and length combos,

Use the Column chooser to add the Project field to the BOM,

In the first Part Number column cell use the expression builder to enter: =<Project>-<Mark Number>

Use the click and drag functionailty (like MS Excel)  to fill the cells below it with the same forumula,

Now all items with the same stock# and length combos will have the same Part Number.

see attached image.

Message 4 of 7
BMiller63
in reply to: BMiller63

Also, I think it's generally recomended to let Frame Generator assign all the PN's and File names and then manage this in the BOM as described above, after the fact.

Note too that in my example I used the description column, I think that in would actually be best to create a custom iprop column and combine the stock#, GL, and description into I field and then sort using it, rather than replacing the description as the example showed.

Message 5 of 7
gots

Hi,

(sorry for the english, this is not my main language)

I will use this topic to ask you something.

I have an application that try to manage Inventor file. Customer like to rename the files with a part number. It is working well for standard assembly or drawing.

With the Frame Generator, We got some files that will manage the frame : frame0001.iam, skeleton001.ipt inside of the frame folder and a skeleton file under the main ASM.

Usally, we keed all files, renamed in a "vault" and when user wants to open the files again, we make a copy of all files in a unique folder. And we got no problem because all files are renamed ith a unique name.

Now, I want to do the same with Frame files :

rename 

If I use my standard process, I cannot open again the main asm, or If I try to rename only the Main asm and the skeleton part, I loose some data, then some part of the frame loose the rigth length and are displayed with there standard length.

Then, my question is : is it possible to rename each files involved in a frame ?

Thanks

regards

Message 6 of 7
grim2020
in reply to: gots

Whenever you add a frame member a dialog box pops up and gives you the opportunity to rename the frame member or members as it's saving them.  To do so after the fact you should be able to rename them within Vault and it should carry down to the assembly.

Message 7 of 7
gots

you are talking of the frame member. I'm talking about the skeleton file and the frame file too (frame001.ipt for example).

For example, I try to save as the skeleton and replace it in the ASM, frame is broken...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report