Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inv 11 Adaptive ipts in iam

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
digger19
269 Views, 4 Replies

Inv 11 Adaptive ipts in iam

I have a iam with adaptive ipt's. All works fine in the iam. I used a simple extrusion for my ipt's to get my width parameter to export to idw parts list. But how do you get height and thickness of each ipt in the parts list if you do not have your ipt's defined with more than one dimension on it? Is there a better process? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: digger19

Hi! There are several ways to do this. It depends on how the Extrusion feature was created originally. If it was created by To termination, there would not be a distance parameter. In this case, you simply create a 2D or 3D sketch and project the length-wise edge and then give a driven dimension. The driven dimension will be the extruded length.

If the extrusion was created by Distance and then it became adaptive later, the distance parameter could be found on Parameters table even though it could not drive the extrusion length anymore.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
digger19
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for the reply. See attached. I just created the ipt ('s) and left only one dim so I can let my iam adapt in all directions except the 0.75 thickness. Then constrained all these in iam and then in iam made some constraints to drive the iam from within the iam. Iam works fine and I do get my thickness (0.75) but when I change my iam that isfully adaptive to another height or width, new dimensions are created. But since no dims are present in ipt I cannot get them to parts list at any time.

I must being doing something wrong.

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Did you export the parameters (Parameters -> check Export)? If they are not exported, they would not be accessible to BOM.

If I were you, I would do the following.

In the adaptive part, create one sketch on the top and the other on the side. Then add driven dimensions in the sketches. These driven dimensions will appear in Parameters. Next, create user parameters (like Length, Width, and Depth) with expressions equal to the driven dimensions. Export the user parameters.

Does it make sense?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
digger19

I will give that a try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report