Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
exSWX
Message 1 of 12 (261 Views)
Accepted Solution

Intelligent Holes

261 Views, 11 Replies
04-09-2014 09:18 PM

We constantly have issues whereby holes are being tapped inncorectly for their corrosponding clearance holes.

EG, a hole is tapped M6, but the corrosponding hole is drilled for M5.

This is totally down to user error on input of required hole size and NOTHING to do with Inventor functionality.

Is there a safer workflow method of creating holes or checking that the correct holes have been selected for both mating parts?

Autodesk Inventor 2013-64Bit Edition
Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz
Win 7 Pro
6.7 System Rating
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
*Expert Elite*
brendan.henderson
Message 2 of 12 (247 Views)

Re: Intelligent Holes

04-09-2014 10:40 PM in reply to: exSWX

It sounds like the users are modelling each hole (the drilled clearance and the tapped) separately. If the user isn't switched on then this type of error can occur.

2 thoughts :-

1. Use the Interference checker (Inspect tab, Interference) or
  2. Model the holes at the assy level using the Bolted Connection design accelerator (pictures shown below)

bc.png

bc2.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2014 PDS Premium SP2 Update 1, Vault Professional 2014 Subs Release 1 & Update 1

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 3 of 12 (224 Views)

04-10-2014 05:10 AM in reply to: brendan.henderson

Not sure how you could model it incorrectly if you are simply using the hole command and selecting a tapped hole? As it creates the proper hole size automatically.

The problem seems to be "unintelligent A-holes" :smileyvery-happy: and nothing fixes that faster than creating a vacancy in their seat. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 12 (219 Views)

04-10-2014 05:39 AM in reply to: exSWX

Send them out to the shop floor for several months.

Then have them learn how to use the Hole featues and Bolted Connections.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
lriemer
Message 5 of 12 (201 Views)

04-10-2014 07:33 AM in reply to: mcgyvr
Would you mind elaborating on how this is done? I understand how this works with a bolted connection, but I was unaware I could use the regular hole command to automatically size a hole. Typically, I project the corresponding hole from part A while editing-in-place part B, place a point on the center of the projected circle, and then use the hole command to create from the sketch point, but I've always had to manually select the size. Is there a better way that will reference the size of the other hole?
Inventor 2015 SP1
Windows 7
*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 6 of 12 (192 Views)

04-10-2014 07:44 AM in reply to: lriemer

lriemer wrote:
Would you mind elaborating on how this is done? I understand how this works with a bolted connection, but I was unaware I could use the regular hole command to automatically size a hole. Typically, I project the corresponding hole from part A while editing-in-place part B, place a point on the center of the projected circle, and then use the hole command to create from the sketch point, but I've always had to manually select the size. Is there a better way that will reference the size of the other hole?

No.. not what I meant.. I was simply implying that if you place a sketch point and use the hole command and select a tapped hole it will create the proper hole size automatically.. 

It wasn't clear or I wasn't reading/understanding the OP's problem properly when I posted that..I wasn't thinking this "clearance" hole was in another part and for some reason was thinking they are just extruding a circle to create a hole then using the thread tool and simply picking the wrong size thread..(even though Inventor typically warns you about that).  

Now its clear that his "users" are just lazy and don't take the few seconds it takes to check that they actually used the proper size holes.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Contributor
lriemer
Message 7 of 12 (186 Views)

04-10-2014 07:50 AM in reply to: mcgyvr
Ah okay, I was hoping you had found a way to automatically pick corresponding sizes from the drop-down menus. Thanks for explaining.
Inventor 2015 SP1
Windows 7
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 8 of 12 (181 Views)

04-10-2014 07:56 AM in reply to: lriemer

lriemer wrote:
...the regular hole command to automatically size a hole. ...

I assume you know about this - but just in case.
Hole Features.png

Bottom line - Inventor is a professional program and deserves (requires) a professional level of training.  The user should know to select the proper clearance and threaded holes for the fastener.  Send 'em out the shop floor for a couple of months drilling and tapping.  The person out on the shop floor has to understand this stuff - certainly the designer should understand this topic.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Contributor
lriemer
Message 9 of 12 (166 Views)

04-10-2014 08:26 AM in reply to: JDMather
Thank you, I do use the drop-down menus for clearance and tapped holes. I was asking if there was a way to reference a previously created tapped hole feature while creating the corresponding clearance hole to default to the correct option, as it sounded like that's what was being suggested. It seems that's not the case, but if that feature existed I wanted to know about it. It would've been a nice addition to my workflow. I didn't get the impression from the original post that this was an issue of ignorance that an M6 clearance goes to an M6 tap. I don't think that's likely to be the problem, it sounds more like a misclick and not double checking things.
Inventor 2015 SP1
Windows 7
Distinguished Contributor
kstate92
Message 10 of 12 (151 Views)

04-10-2014 11:23 AM in reply to: brendan.henderson

What I want (and have IdeaStationed) is reality:

Minor Pilot.PNG

It still bugs me to no end that the entire drilled pilot hole is changed to the minor thread diameter.  That's just lazy.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2014 64 SP2
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - SP1
Xeon E5-1620
16 GB Ram
Quadro 4000

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube