Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent Holes

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
exSWX
694 Views, 11 Replies

Intelligent Holes

We constantly have issues whereby holes are being tapped inncorectly for their corrosponding clearance holes.

EG, a hole is tapped M6, but the corrosponding hole is drilled for M5.

This is totally down to user error on input of required hole size and NOTHING to do with Inventor functionality.

Is there a safer workflow method of creating holes or checking that the correct holes have been selected for both mating parts?

Autodesk Inventor 2021
Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz
Win 10 Pro
6.7 System Rating
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
brendan.henderson
in reply to: exSWX

It sounds like the users are modelling each hole (the drilled clearance and the tapped) separately. If the user isn't switched on then this type of error can occur.

2 thoughts :-

1. Use the Interference checker (Inspect tab, Interference) or
  2. Model the holes at the assy level using the Bolted Connection design accelerator (pictures shown below)

bc.png

bc2.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 3 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Not sure how you could model it incorrectly if you are simply using the hole command and selecting a tapped hole? As it creates the proper hole size automatically.

The problem seems to be "unintelligent A-holes" Smiley Very Happy and nothing fixes that faster than creating a vacancy in their seat. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 12
JDMather

Send them out to the shop floor for several months.

Then have them learn how to use the Hole featues and Bolted Connections.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
lriemer
in reply to: mcgyvr

Would you mind elaborating on how this is done? I understand how this works with a bolted connection, but I was unaware I could use the regular hole command to automatically size a hole. Typically, I project the corresponding hole from part A while editing-in-place part B, place a point on the center of the projected circle, and then use the hole command to create from the sketch point, but I've always had to manually select the size. Is there a better way that will reference the size of the other hole?

Inventor 2019 - Build 136
Windows 10
Message 6 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: lriemer

@lriemer wrote:
Would you mind elaborating on how this is done? I understand how this works with a bolted connection, but I was unaware I could use the regular hole command to automatically size a hole. Typically, I project the corresponding hole from part A while editing-in-place part B, place a point on the center of the projected circle, and then use the hole command to create from the sketch point, but I've always had to manually select the size. Is there a better way that will reference the size of the other hole?

No.. not what I meant.. I was simply implying that if you place a sketch point and use the hole command and select a tapped hole it will create the proper hole size automatically.. 

It wasn't clear or I wasn't reading/understanding the OP's problem properly when I posted that..I wasn't thinking this "clearance" hole was in another part and for some reason was thinking they are just extruding a circle to create a hole then using the thread tool and simply picking the wrong size thread..(even though Inventor typically warns you about that).  

Now its clear that his "users" are just lazy and don't take the few seconds it takes to check that they actually used the proper size holes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 12
lriemer

Ah okay, I was hoping you had found a way to automatically pick corresponding sizes from the drop-down menus. Thanks for explaining.

Windows 10
Message 8 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: lriemer

@lriemer wrote:
...the regular hole command to automatically size a hole. ...

I assume you know about this - but just in case.
Hole Features.png

Bottom line - Inventor is a professional program and deserves (requires) a professional level of training.  The user should know to select the proper clearance and threaded holes for the fastener.  Send 'em out the shop floor for a couple of months drilling and tapping.  The person out on the shop floor has to understand this stuff - certainly the designer should understand this topic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
lriemer
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you, I do use the drop-down menus for clearance and tapped holes. I was asking if there was a way to reference a previously created tapped hole feature while creating the corresponding clearance hole to default to the correct option, as it sounded like that's what was being suggested. It seems that's not the case, but if that feature existed I wanted to know about it. It would've been a nice addition to my workflow. I didn't get the impression from the original post that this was an issue of ignorance that an M6 clearance goes to an M6 tap. I don't think that's likely to be the problem, it sounds more like a misclick and not double checking things.

Windows 10
Message 10 of 12

What I want (and have IdeaStationed) is reality:

Minor Pilot.PNG

It still bugs me to no end that the entire drilled pilot hole is changed to the minor thread diameter.  That's just lazy.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 11 of 12
exSWX

Thanks for your replies.

We'll look into using the bolted connections function as this seems to remove the possibility of error.

Just a note though, our "unintelligent A-holes" are under the pump to get designs out working to difficult deadlines. Several designers are working on the same projects without Vault, we make mistakes! Smiley Indifferent

Autodesk Inventor 2021
Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz
Win 10 Pro
6.7 System Rating
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Message 12 of 12
mcgyvr

excuses Smiley Very Happy

j/k man.. 

Hope the bolted connection tool works out for you.. Its a great way to attempt to avoid those mistakes in the future..

And at least you know that not using vault in some form isn't a good idea at all with multiple users.. 

Heck we added 1 drafter a while back to help speed up new product releases a while back and I made him stand up..jump on one leg and sing the part number of what he was working on just so I wouldn't step on his toes or he step on mine.. Ok I really didn't make him sing but that would have been great. Smiley LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report