Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed INV 2013 - very slow.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Infoseeker
1236 Views, 13 Replies

Installed INV 2013 - very slow.

We just switched to Inventor 2013.

What in the set up could be causing poor graphic performance (chugging, parts dissapearing when rotating model) - we have few stations with the same parameters, some perform well some as above?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: Infoseeker
Message 3 of 14
bradleydawson

I am having a similar problem. IV 2012 works fine. IV 2013 is essentially unusable. Pan and orbit take minutes to update. Features seem to work ok. Adding a fillet or hole is about the same as 2012. The view cube also takes almost a minute to update a view, even the home view.

I would like to start using 2013 and am reluctant to remove 2012 since it is working and 2013 is not. My system meets requirements for both:

System
 ManufacturerGateway
 ModelDX4300
 Total amount of system memory8.00 GB RAM
 System type64-bit operating system
 Number of processor cores4
Storage
 Total size of hard disk(s)2011 GB
 Disk partition (C)393 GB Free (914 GB Total)
 Media drive (D)CD/DVD
 Disk partition (E)2 GB Free (124 GB Total)
 Disk partition (F)54 GB Free (58 GB Total)
 Disk partition (X)393 GB Free (914 GB Total)
Graphics
 Display adapter typeATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
 Total available graphics memory4735 MB
 Dedicated graphics memory1024 MB
 Dedicated system memory0 MB
 Shared system memory3711 MB
 Display adapter driver version8.970.100.3000
 Secondary monitor resolution1920x1080
 Primary monitor resolution1280x1024
 DirectX versionDirectX 10
Network
 Network AdapterMarvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
 Network AdapterRealtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wireless Device

The forums seem like a good place to start, but I have seen that many others are having a similar issue and I see no resolution so far.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: bradleydawson

Did you install SP1.1 and update 1 for SP1.1?

Message 5 of 14
bradleydawson
in reply to: Anonymous

Are these service packs for Autodesk or Windows? How do I check for these?

I just uninstalled IV2013 and downloaded and installed it again. It should be the latest available.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Message 7 of 14
sam_m

Bradley, you could well be hitting the limits of that pc tbh.

looking for DX4300 I get this spec:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113104

The Radeon 4650

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html (benchmark)

is v low powered compared to what Inventor really needs (and can only guess the 4600 is even worse).

No idea why your spec say's you've allocated 3711MB ram to be shared with the graphics card - personally would suggest nocking that down to leave as much of the 8gb left to be system ram and have the gpu just use its on-board memory.  I would also try updating the drivers - the one listes is about 6 months old.  might also try disabling the 2nd monitor to see if it helps at all (give as much processing power to 1 screen and Inventor instead of trying to deal with displaying info on 2 screens).

AMD Phenom II X4 810(2.6GHz)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html (benchmark for single-threaded application)

is pretty awful too, compared to most modern cpus.

at the end of the day, it's a 3-4 year old system spec that was only "average" speed when new.  Sorry to say it, but could well be the case of needing new hardware.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 8 of 14
bradleydawson
in reply to: sam_m

The problems are with extremely simple models, like an extruded rectangle. The reqs for 2012 are not much different from 2013, but if you're right, I will stay with 2012 until enough issues force me to update my system.

In the meantime, I am going to the install forum to find out why double clicking the msp files doesn't work.

Message 9 of 14
blair

DirectX10 is not helping as well. You probably have a slow hard-drive as well.

Open your task manager and look for any programs/services that are using a lot of resources. Having items running in the back-ground and a nice picture on your moniter doesn't help either.

You can also turn off all the "bling" on your system:

Start>Control Panel>System Properties>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Adjust for best performance

Defrag your system and clean all temp files / directories.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 14

Hello all,

it seems we are some users in this forum to have Inventor 2013 which become painfully slow even to extrude a simple cube...

Refer to this : http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-2013-really-slow/m-p/3709580#M454755

Maybe our PC spec are not the best but what I can't understand is:

" Why Inventor 2012 was running well and Inventor 2013 is painfully slow... Something is wrong.. How could be a computer be at ground with only a simple function and only one version more.!! Smiley Sad "

Something other, here in my office we are 6 users, only 2 ( including meSmiley Mad)have this slowdown problem with same PC specs, same hotfix, ...

Cheers,

--------------------------------
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
Bi-Xeon E5520 (2x Quad-core @2.27GHz)
Quadro Fx 1800 768Mo GDDR3
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Message 11 of 14
blair

A number of users have had simular problems. It seems the IPJ file is either corrupt or pointing to directories that no longer exist.

Either editing the Project File or deleting and creating a new Project File seems to have solved their problem.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 14

hello Blair,

Thank you for your answer, I will try to work on this...

Our files structure in our actual vault project is :

Work folder  | -> Libraries folder

| -> Content center folder

| -> iam, ipt, dwg.. folder

| -> project.ipj

+ Template and style & material/color libraries on a network drive

When trying to create a new vault project with Inventor 2013, it seems that the work folder should not include librariess and content center files so that struture should be :

Johndoe folder   | -> Libraries folder

| -> Content center folder

| -> Work folder --> iam, ipt, dwg.. folder

| -> project.ipj

I am right? In that case I should recreate my project files... and modify our vault configuration to point to the new work folder...   Is this type of configuration new to inventor 2013 or was our Inventor 2012 project files not create as it should been...

In our actual project, the virtual folder is defined as "$", but now Inv2013 do not accept $... What should I put in this ? What is the function of the virtual folder?

Many thanks in advance for your help !

Jonathan.

--------------------------------
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
Bi-Xeon E5520 (2x Quad-core @2.27GHz)
Quadro Fx 1800 768Mo GDDR3
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Message 13 of 14
blair
in reply to: jonathanruffray

I am not up on Vault, but we normally map folders on the server and give definitive paths.

Any folders within the work directory can be edited. We try to keep items that we don't want edited in Libraries, this keeps them as read-only.

Try using the default IPJ and do some test modeling (even using the samples supplied with the install) on the machines that are giving this problem. See if its the machine, or the network and possibly your existing Project File.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 14
gert
in reply to: Anonymous

The updates solved my problems! thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report