Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In sketch - Select Tangent Geometry

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
CAD-One
613 Views, 11 Replies

How to ?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: CAD-One

Do not let up the LMB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
CAD-One
in reply to: JDMather

JD, This will add tangent constraint. I learnt this nice tool recently.

I need to know, in a sketch, when we have several colsed loop geometries, How can I select a one specific Loops of geometry (They are already teangent) and perform a delete.

Deleting each line and arcs is time consuming. It would be nice, like a RMB and say select "tangent geometires" or 'Select Loop"

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 5 of 12
schimmelryan
in reply to: cbenner

Not to be rude, but "select tangent edges" is useful expressly when there is other geometry in the way. If a box could do it, there wouldn't be the needed functionality of selecting tangent geometry/edges.

Message 6 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: schimmelryan

@schimmelryan 

Can you Attach your *.ipt file here?

The actual geometry might better illustrate your issue.

(Make up a dummy file if the actual geometry is proprietary.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 12
schimmelryan
in reply to: JDMather

Take this for instance. This is the centerline of a 3/8 wire basket rim sweep in another part of a weldment assembly. I'd like to copy/offset this geometry into the current part that this sketch is shared with to create a surface representative of the expanded mesh.

To project geometry, I have to manually select each segment. In solidworks, there is the ability to select all tangent edges of a solid/surface edge, or tangent segments in a sketch.

Recreating the sketch isn't an issue in the part, and it's a relatively simple part, but I just can't imagine doing any new or concept design in invetor, because inter-part reference geometry, assembly motion and weldments are so painfully handled. Anyone who is a Solidworks user understands the work flow I'm after.

Is there perchance a "Solidworks to Inventor users support group" lol

schimmelryan_0-1695154639234.png

Message 8 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: schimmelryan

Hi! Did you try window-select?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 12

RMB and make sure "loop select"  is checked(with the tool active) for offsetting a continuous sketch profile. Most other tools use the term chain select instead of tangent.

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
Message 10 of 12
schimmelryan
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Window select does not work when selecting projected geometry from another part. Also, please see previous comment. The point of tangent select is only to select tangent entities, and not other entities that might be present within the selection window.

Message 11 of 12

That would be one way to do it, but it doesn't work that way. For the shared sketch, or if this were tangent edges on a face, project geometry is required. I can't select edges/sketch entities from the sketch offset command when referencing a shared sketch in another part.

Right now I'm just converting 2D drawings to 3D models in Inventor. Coming from doing prototype and concept design in SolidWorks, I can't imagine creating very complex parametric or dynamic geometry in an cross part assembly, which I don't even know if that's possible. I wouldn't mind to do everything in a part either, but individual bodies and direct editing aren't very powerful and require a ton of menu clicks to use.

schimmelryan_0-1695217466724.png

Message 12 of 12

I zoomed in on your image and I see you are working with adaptive parts, I didn't notice that before. It has been so long since I have worked with adaptive parts since I actively avoid them that I don't know if I can be of much more help. I usually have the sketch visible in the parent part, start a new part, and derive the visible sketch into a new part to share geometry. This has been a more robust way for me to make dependent parts. Or if you just need to pass dimensions you can just open the parameter window and link the necessary parameters to the new part. With just sharing parameters you can actually have a part that references more than one parent.

Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report