Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing sheet metal rule crashes Inventor

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
KF090
1467 Views, 19 Replies

Importing sheet metal rule crashes Inventor

When we try to import a sheet metal rule (*.styxml) into an existing sheet metal part it crashes Inventor.  Anyone else have this issue?  Anyone resolved this issue?

This is on Inventor 2014 Pro and Standard 64-bit versions with all the latest updates.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
-niels-
in reply to: KF090

We have this issue as well, we didn't find a solution other than copying the values manually.

I meant to make a support ticket for this, but been to busy so it slipped my mind.
As we haven't needed to do this again, and i'm still pretty busy, i'm keeping it on my to-do list.
But maybe this topic will lead to a solution, so i'm going to keep an eye on it.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 20
KF090
in reply to: -niels-

In our situation it will be a pretty big deal since we need to update existing sheet metal parts to the new rules which is already a really big undertaking without having to manually go in and update all the rule changing instead of importing the new file.

I've never created a support ticket before so I'm not sure how to do that.

Message 4 of 20
KF090

Can I put in for tech support/create a case directly to Autodesk even if we have a tech support contract with the reseller who we purchased the software thru?

Message 5 of 20
SBix26

Why not use the Styles library?  Save the new sheet metal rule(s) to the library, then open each file and update from the library.  Or did you receive the .styxml file from someone else?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2014 SP1 U2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 6 of 20
-niels-

If you are on subscription you can open a support case from the subscription center under "technical support".
You could also let it go through your reseller's channels.

In your case, if you have to do a lot of it, i think sbixler's suggestion of adding it to the style library might be the easier way to go.
For us it is a style we only need once in a while, so we don't feel the need to add it.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 20
KF090

We need to do testing on the new rules prior to releasing it for public use.  We were trying to update a few existing parts to the new rules and that's when we ran into the crashing issues.

Sure, I can add in a new rule with a "TEST ONLY" title and add it to the sheet metal .ipt template and that's what I ended up doing but, it still doesn't resolve the crashing issue when you import a rule into an existing part.  Regardless of having a work around this is still an issue that needs to be fixed.

Message 8 of 20
SBix26

No question that something is broken and needs to be fixed.  But even if it was working flawlessly, that wouldn't be my choice for what you're doing.

Set up a Design Data folder for testing, set up a test project pointing to that DD folder, then you can test all you want without making it public.  When you're done testing, use the Style Library Manager to copy your new/revised rule from the test library to your production library.  Now update your templates from the library, and any existing files that you wish to revise to the new standard.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2014 SP1 U3

Message 9 of 20
KF090
in reply to: SBix26

The only way to edit the sheet metal rules is from inside the template itself, correct?

Message 10 of 20
SBix26

Styles in general can only be edited from within a document (part, assembly or drawing).  But to save to the Style Library, the active project (.ipj) has to be set to Read/Write access.  Once in the library any document can retrieve styles from that library, either by selecting them for use, or by updating existing ones.

Our templates have only the active styles actually in the template (also true for materials and appearances).  All the rest are immediately available from the library but do not actually reside in the document until used.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2014 SP1 U3

Message 11 of 20
-niels-

Just wanted to say that in IV2015 the import function works without crashing, just tested it.

As a strange side-effect, importing also works in 2014 again.
I do get some error messages about color styles, which causes 1 particular xml not to import.
I'm guessing that was what caused the crash prior to installing IV2015...

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 12 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! I suspect the rule to be importe has some problems and Inventor cannot handle it correctly. Could you post the style file here or send it directly to me?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! Did you report it to Autodesk Product Support before? If yes, what is the case ID or defect ID?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 20
KF090
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This is the case number Autodesk gave this issue:  CaseNo:09540869

I attached the rule file that is causing this issue.

Message 15 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! I might not have followed the steps correctly but I did not see any issue importing the styles. See attached part.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 20
KF090

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! I might not have followed the steps correctly but I did not see any issue importing the styles. See attached part.

Thanks!

Unless I'm missing something I don't see anything in the file you attached.

Did you import the rule before or after you added flanges?

Message 17 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry that I misunderstood the problem. I thought it was about importing the style to a new sheet metal part. The crash does happen when the style is imported to an existing sheet metal part. I need to take a closer look and understand the crash better.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 20
johnsonshiue

Guys, I was able to locate the crash report and the corresponding defect. This is indeed a known problem which has been fixed on R2014 SP2. Please download SP2 and install it. The crash should go away. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-in... I am very sorry for the inconvenience the defect has caused. Please let me know if it works. Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 20
-niels-

Thanks Johnson,
I haven't installed SP2 for 2014 yet, will also do that.
Funny that installing 2015 seems to have had an effect on the behavior in 2014 too.
Anyway, glad it's solved.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 20 of 20
KF090

@johnsonshiue wrote:
Guys, I was able to locate the crash report and the corresponding defect. This is indeed a known problem which has been fixed on R2014 SP2. Please download SP2 and install it. The crash should go away. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-in... I am very sorry for the inconvenience the defect has caused. Please let me know if it works. Many thanks!

Thanks!  That fixed the crashing issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report