Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing and constraining vector drawing

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2559 Views, 2 Replies

Importing and constraining vector drawing

Hi there,

I have a vector drawing of a logo, currently in adobe illustrator format. I'd like to create a 2D sketch in Autodesk Inventor and then insert this drawing into the sketch as a shape that can only be placed and scaled.

The way I'd expect this to work is essentially that I'd get a rectangle X enclosing vector object Y, and that I'd then be able to create a fully constrained Inventor sketch by simply constraining the corners of this rectangle X. Is it possible to do something along those lines, and if so what is the best practice for it? 

What I tried, which failed, was this:

1. Converted the AI file to a .DWG file

2. Used the "Insert ACAD" command to place the file in Inventor with the Constrain End Points and Apply geometric constraints boxes checked (other boxes were unchecked)

3. Waited for a surprisingly long time for this operation to complete, maybe 30s on a 16GB 2.6GHz quad machine 

The result of this operation is that I now see my imported geometry, BUT all vectors are treated as individual shapes and I have 2637 dimensions needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Sketch Blocks.

(did you attach the correct file here?)

#1 AutoCAD dwg would be good format.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction; problem solved!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report