Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing NX 7.5 Unigraphics difficulties

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
hoaglin14
3562 Views, 8 Replies

Importing NX 7.5 Unigraphics difficulties

When trying to import a NX 7.5 assembly file into inventor, there is a lot of duplication of parts, missing parts, and scattering of other parts.  Is there a way to successfully import an assembly from NX to inventor, if so does it include all the original sketches and feature history that created the parts, or is that not possible?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: hoaglin14

I don't know why there would be duplication of parts, missing parts or scattering of parts unless the original file was flawed in some way.

You will not translate sketches and feature tree.

You could use Feature Recognition if you need sketches and feature tree http://labs.autodesk.com

Can you attach the NX file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

Hi,

What's your version of Inventor ? Try to put all the parts belong to this assembly in the same location of assembly file then import it again.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 4 of 9
aparrow
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Old post I know.

When I try to import a NX7.5 assy PRT file, Inventor Pro 2012 SP2 Update 2 just thinks for a second and comes nback with nothing. No error window. No pop-up. Just back to the program so I can do something else.

I can open the individual PRT files with no problems. But that doesn't help me much.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

--
Inventor 2012/2014 Certified Professional
Product/Factory Design Suite 2018
Vault Workgroup & Pro 2018
Dell T7610 - Dual Xeon @ 2.5GHz / 64GB Ram / ATI FirePro W7000 / 512GB SSD & Dual 1TB 10k RPM
Dell M7710 - Core i7 2.7GHz / 64GB Ram / AMD FirePro W5170M / Dual 512GB SSDs
Windows 10 64-bit
Message 5 of 9
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: aparrow

Hi aparrow,

Thanks for your feedback !!!

Can you turn on option "Embed in Document" in NX Import Options dialog box and check if there is some error message shown in the translation report ?

And it is very appreciate if you can share the whole assembly files to me for reproduce and investigation if possible. You can send files to Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com .

Thanks for your support !!!

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 6 of 9
aparrow

It doesn't matter if the embedded option is on or off, as no document is even created. Inventor doesn't even try to open or translate the file. Would there be a log file produced any where else in the system?

I cannot share the NX files due to the confidentiality and security agreements with my customer. 

--
Dell T7610 - Dual Xeon @ 2.5GHz / 64GB Ram / ATI FirePro W7000 / 512GB SSD & Dual 1TB 10k RPM
Windows 10 64-bit
Message 7 of 9
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi aparrow,

Sorry for make your confuse about embedded option, what I mean is turn on it in the import options dialog box, then go to the model browser in Inventor, double click Translation Report node to open it (see attached image), there should be some error message shown under Components section (see attached image) to say why import is failed. 

Or can you press F6 on the keyboard to set Inventor to Home View for double check ?

Inventor 2012 version can open NX 7.5 files and you can also open the part files respectively, since I don't have the data maybe you can check if your NX assembly file can be opened successfully in NX7.5 ?

Thanks for your support !!!

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 8 of 9
aparrow

I fully understand the embedded report option and how it works.

The issue is - no IPT/IAM is even created, no IPT/IAM, no report to review. After selecting the NX assy file I want to translate and setting options, and selecting OPEN, Inventor thinks for all of 2 seconds and comes right back to the home screen as shown in attached image. Only thing different is it says ""Loading..." in the lower left hand corner, but is actually doing "Nothing..."

The assy files open fine in NX7.5. My work around is to STEP out of NX and STEP into Inventor. Even though I can batch translate both ways, it add's an additional process that takes time to run.

--
Windows 10 64-bit
Message 9 of 9
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi aparrow,

Thanks for your feedback and I think there is a defect in Inventor for this case. Use neutral format is a workaround but it will lost the feature history after import STEP in inventor. 

I will record your case in my issue tracking system and try to reproduce it using my data, then pass it to development team to get a fix.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Autodesk, Inc.
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report