Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing MDT 2008 files to Inventor 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
714 Views, 6 Replies

Importing MDT 2008 files to Inventor 2013

Hi everybody,

I am having some issues with the importation of some old files (from Mechanical Desktop 2008) to our new Inventor 2013...

I've been trying to use the Tasks Scheduler from my 2008 suite to "Import" my files into a new folder but it doesn't seem to be working. (it creates every folder and subfolder but keep them empty)

I know it's possible to install MDT2009 on an Inventor 2012 suite but it doesn't work with the 2013 version.

Is there a way for me to be able to use the old 2003 objects (3D ones) on Inventor 2013 (or on any other 2013 software?)

I hope I've been clear enough, please tell me if I didn't. I am an IT manager working for an industrial company which means I don't use these softwares but I have to install and configure them.

Thank you so much for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
xavier_dumont1
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I think the only solution is to install an Inventor 2012 with Mechanical Desktop 2009 (for 2012 Release).

You can download it on www.autodesk.com/MDT

Autodesk stop to make Mechanical Desktop available for 2013 release. 2012 is the last chance to migrate to Inventor.

If you are under subscription, you have the right to install and licensing the 2012 release of Inventor.

And be careful, I met some difficulties to install MDT2009 on a Windows 7 computer. I don't think it's really supported. You have to install it on XP.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: xavier_dumont1

Thank you for answering me!

I have a "free" computer with Inventor 2008 and MDT 2008 on it. Do you think I can use these to "convert" the files? If you think so, can you tell me how to do it?

Thank you so much again.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I forgot to tell you that the user needs to open his old MDT 2008 files in Autodesk Mechanical 2013...

He can't insert his objects into Mechanical 2013 (he got a message saying he can't modify any drawings from Mechanical Desktop and all the commands are unavailable) ...

If he opens a file, he can save it in "step mode" but can't modify it in Mechanical 2013...

Message 5 of 7
sam_m

see:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/MDT-files-with-Inventor-2013-Autodesk-s-official-sta...

and

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-2013-CAN-still-import-AMDT-09-files/m-p/359...

basically u need MDT2009 installed on the system (which apparently can only be done with Iv2012 (or newer) on the system.  So - install Iv2012 then MDT2009 then uninstall Iv2012 and install Iv2013 - nice...

Seem to have mixed reports whether DWG is shown in the drop-down for open files or what, but guessing that with MDT2009 and Iv2013 on the system you can drag and drop into Iv to launch the import wizzard.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Inventor needs a MDT import ability within the software, without any need for MDT to be on the system.  We've got 3rd party data import like SolidWorks, etc built into the software but not the ability to import Autodesk's own legacy data - crazy...

and MDT2009 will install on Win7 64bit no problems (using the 64bit version of MDT2009 downloaded from subscription centre) - not had any problems here.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: sam_m

Thank you so much for this answer!

I asked the user to send his PC to another of our agencies because we have a computer with Inventor 2012 and MDT 2009 on it.

Do you think I should be able to copy the library on the PC that owns Inventor 20012 and MDT 2009 and convert it to be usable on Autodesk Mechanical 2013 ?

What should I do ? Do I really need to install MDT 2009 on the computer or can I convert the library and then copy it into the computer?

Thank you!

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hi everyone,

The computer should be arrive today. Can anyone tell me the way to convert the files?

Thank you once again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report