Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing IGES file as solid part

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ravencontrols
1123 Views, 9 Replies

Importing IGES file as solid part

I am using inventor 2013. I currently have a IGES file that doesn't show the surfaces on my inventor drawings. The include all surfaces feature is check but still doesnt show all the surfaces. I just recently imported a IGES file as a soild part but i do not rememeber how i did it. Can someone please let me know once I clicked on the IGES file to open and then click options. What do I fill out on the option dialog box that the IGES file imports as a solid part and shows all surfaces on my inventor drawings. I have attached a picture of the dialog box I am talking about. Thanks Derek

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: ravencontrols

Hi Derek,

I would uncheck "Wires" and "Points".

iges.PNG

If you need further help you can try posting you iges file here and we could try it.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

Can you zip and attach the original iges file here?

The best settings depend on the actual content of the file.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
ravencontrols
in reply to: JDMather

I am trying to attached the original file but it is saying that the file is too large no matter if I zip the file.

Message 5 of 10

Is there another way to attach a file to this site if the file is too large even if you zip the file.

Message 6 of 10
Cadmanto

Derek,

Does your file meet the criteria for attachmenst according to this thread?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/FAQ-How-To-Using-Autodesk/Attachments-size-and-allowable-file-types/td...

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 10
ravencontrols
in reply to: Cadmanto

Yes after I zip the file the file is still bigger then 1.5MB.

Message 8 of 10

I am just trying to figure out another way to post the original file on here as per your request.

Message 9 of 10

http://www.filedropper.com/xa-545959

Please click on this link to get the orignial IGES file that I am trying to import as a solid to show up on all my inventor drawings. Thanks Derek

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

I assume the SWx operator used the SWx equivalent of "shrinkwrap" on this file.  There are some missing surfaces.

It should still show in your drawing though.

The paper I linked before explains how to fix this one - fortunately the geometry is pretty simple.  It would take 2-3 hours of effort to fix it up.  Good experience for working with missing geometry.

Missing Geometry.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report