Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imported Components Folders

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Doug_DuPont
2352 Views, 6 Replies

Imported Components Folders

I do not like this. We down load a lot of vendor models and this folder is growing so large. How do I managethis better. Too scared to delete any of these folders. There is a lot of non-Unique files in them.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Doug,

Any change you have Vault?

If you do, check them into the vault and rearange them there.  Then delete your local and when you check them out from the vault the directory structure will come along for the ride.  This wil take constant maintenance though.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7

Hi Doug_DuPont,

The only controls for this reside in the Import Options. To access these options first select the file you want to import and then click the Options button, you'll see the save options at the top of the dialog box.

Note that if you access the Import tool via the Manage tab > Import button, you won't get all of the options. So it's best to do this by using the Open button.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 7
mrattray

I agree, I don't like that folder either.  I make it a self-impossed rule to immediately "file away" anything I import into an appropriate directory. I delete the "Imported Components" folder regularly, because I know that anything I actually kept and used is safely tucked away in another folder. Right now I'm the only user that actually does jobs in Inventor, so I'm going to have to come up with something else once other users start invading my workspace.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 7
Doug_DuPont

Your lucky, I have 30 engineers filling these folders that don't care.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 6 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I just created an idea at the IdeaStation for this, please go vote and/or comment if you have a moment:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Make-Import-Options-Save-Configuration-and-Applic...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 7
nannerdw

I keep a folder with all of the vendor parts that I download, and add it as a library to my projects.

This is the folder hierarchy that I use:

Folder: "Inventor Library"
     Folder: <VendorName>
          Folder: <ProductCategory>
               Folder: <PartNumber>
                    Folder: "Source Files"
                         File: <FileFromVendor>.<sat/step/etc.>
                    Folder: "Parts"
                         File: <VendorName>_<PartNumber>_"Part1".ipt
                         File: <VendorName>_<PartNumber>_"Part2".ipt
                    Folder: "Documentation"                          File: <SpecsFromVendor>.pdf      File: <VendorName>_<PartNumber>.iam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report