Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import .sat file and convert to 3D solid

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Keith.Brown
7354 Views, 11 Replies

Import .sat file and convert to 3D solid

I have several .sat files that I have imported into inventor.  In the past when I have received the files and imported them in and saved as a dwg solid, they come save as a 3D solid.  The files that I have now when saved as a dwg solid come in as surfaces.  I am a complete novice with inventor and I am not sure on how to make it export as a 3D solid if it is even possible.   I have tried stitching them, but it comes up with alot of errors.

I am hoping to try and fix this without asking the manufacturer for their original files.  I am not sure if they will even release them.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Can you post one of them, zipped?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 12
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Here is a smaller one.

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

There are missing surfaces in the parts.
What Options do you have set on open?

You might check this information on fixing the parts

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=3056

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 12

It appears from the header information in the supplied file that this SAT file originated in Inventor 2010. See text below (Opened in Notepad):

700 0 37 0          
33 Autodesk Inventor 14.3.0000.27200 18 ASM 215.0.3.100 NT 24 Mon Nov 29 14:41:16 2010
25.399999999999999 9.9999999999999995e-007 1e-010

I'd ask for the parts and assemblies. This file could be repaired in the Construction environment, but it would take a lot of time.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 12

JD,

I actually had downloaded your class the day before to try and fix the problems.  It did help and give some answers but there was just too many errors to fix per part.  There will be several hundred parts to make this feasible.  Thanks for the extremely helpful video and the input.

Dennis,

I am currently in contact with the manufacturer to try and get their assemblies.  Hopefully they will release them and make my job that much easier.  Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 12
Keith.Brown

Once you have the original assembly and part files, is it possible to export them in a .sat format as a 3D solid and not a surface?  If so, are there very many steps to accomplish this?  Thanks.

Message 8 of 12
JDMather

Trivially easy.  In fact I wonder about the source and the reason this file was missing faces.   (either they did not know what they were doing or this was a rough attempt at protecting intellectual property by removing some geometry)

The steps are File>Save Copy As> type ACIS (*.sat)

but I would STEP (*.stp) instead

or

Environments>AEC Exchange >Save as dwg solids of dwg is needed in the end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 12
Keith.Brown
in reply to: JDMather

They did send out a .sat file but the file came in as all surfaces.  I will be using the model in AutoCAD MEP and it requires full 3D solids instead of  3D surfaces.  They are not sure why it came out as a surface instead of a 3D solid and neither am I.

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

@advmech_kbrown wrote:

They are not sure why it came out as a surface instead of a 3D solid and neither am I.

Sounds like they need some training.  See if they will let you post the original files here.  My guess is that it will be garbage.

Message 11 of 12
Keith.Brown

They are not going to let me post.  I am able to shrinkwrap the assemblies to obtain a 3D solid and then export to a dwg using the AEC exchange.  Still not sure on how to export a 3D solid .sat file which would be the prefered method.  I take it that the .sat would export as a 3D solid if the assembly and parts were modeled better?

Message 12 of 12
JDMather

@advmech_kbrown wrote:

I take it that the .sat would export as a 3D solid if the assembly and parts were modeled better?

Yep.  My first thought is that they used Delete Face somewhere (without knowing how to use this command).  Imported geometry that was not repaired could be another source of trouble.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report