Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im stuck on this constrain. Stroke for a pneumatic cylinder

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
619 Views, 6 Replies

Im stuck on this constrain. Stroke for a pneumatic cylinder

I found this model of a pneumatic cylinder which I originally tried to modify for my own needs. I found it to be easier to redraw from scratch. After, I ran into a problem with getting the center rod to stay in the middle of the tube and have the correct stroke for my design. 
So I went back to the original model & tried tinkering with it to so how the stroke is being handled, but I can't figure it out. Whenever I mess around too much I mess it up. So I was hoping someone could take a look at it & let me know what constraints are holding the rod in the center of the tube & which limits I would adjust to set the starting position of the rod to be 14mm out & the full stroke to be 50mm.

Once I figure out where the constraints are I can try to apply them to my own design.

Thanks for the help. 

...I cant upload the number of files required so Ill provide the link to the original location that I found the file 

https://grabcad.com/library/pneumatic-cylinder/files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

Without looking at the file - my guess is constraint limits.

Edit a constraint and notice there is a chevron in the lower right corner of the dialog box, that if clicked, reveals additional functionality for assembly constraints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for responding.

I'm sure it is a contstraint problem. I am learning constraints & joints & have been wrestling with this part for a while. I have tried may different ways to do apply constraints but haven't succeeded yet.

The part is an assembly so I couldnt roll it up as you described. instead I used pack & go an then zipped up the workspace files along with the ipj that was cxreated. Hopefully that works.

thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Examine the constraints on this assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you. I got mine working after reviewing yours.

Then I add that assembly into the final part assembly that I am building & It stops working. Im assuming that is has to do with grounding. In the stand alone assembly I set the cyl end piece grounded. I assumed that held the cylinder in place alloiwing the rod to move.

Now, in the final assembly, the cylinder says it is grounded but it doesnt stay in one place. The grounded option is checked but greyed out.Even when I constrain it into the bracket by selecting the threaded part of the end cap & the threaded hole of the bracket, it wont slide.

I would figure the movement should still function as long as I do not constrain the rod parts.

thanks

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

Has nothing to do with grounding..

You simply right click on the cylinder and select "flexible"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

I got it working now. Thank you ....Thank you Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report