Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2013 sketch envrionement not using graphics card?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ad64
229 Views, 1 Reply

IV2013 sketch envrionement not using graphics card?

Does Inventor render sketch graphics with the CPU only and not use the graphics card?

I've noticed that when I have a few moderately complex sketches in a part file (eg. for skeletal or multi-body models), Inventor stutters and lag when I rotate, pan, and zoom after I reach a certain complexity. It's almost as if Inventor is not using the graphics card at all for sketch geometry but is trying to run it all off of the CPU.

If I continue working in the file and create a multi-body model with solids, textures and everything from those sketches, I notice that I can turn off the sketch visibility and rotate the model with  all of its solid bodies, textures, etc. quite smoothly. Yet, as soon as the sketch visibility is turned on the model stutters and lags on rotation. In fact it almost seems that Inventor can rotate the textured solid bodies more easily than it can rotate the sketches they were created from.

To take this a little further, I can put my multi-body model into wireframe view (which should require that far more lines be rendered than with when the sketches are visible) and it rotates beautifully. As soon as I turn on the skeletal sketches it lags.

This seems counterintuitive. Shouldn't it be more demanding to rotate all of the textured solid bodies or all of the wireframe lines than a set of sketches. I'm wondering if Inventor is using the graphics card for rendering solid models but not sketch geometry. Is that so? Or is there another explanation for this?

Thanks,

Steve

HP Elitebook 8740W

Intel Quad Core i7 Q740 (1.73GHz)

12 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800M

SSD Hard Drive

Windows 7 64

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ad64
in reply to: ad64

I'm just giving this a bump to see if anyone knows the answer to this question now since I continue to experience frustrating performance in the sketch environment when creating moderately complex layout sketches.

Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report