Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV 2012, cannot edit general dimension in drawing

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
meline
1101 Views, 14 Replies

IV 2012, cannot edit general dimension in drawing

I cannot edit a dimension that I add to a drawing, IV simply ignores my request when I select Edit from the shortcut menu. This is not a retrieved dimension.  My only workaround has been to edit the dimension properties in the part file to display as I would like on the drawings.

I've checked the application options, under Drawing tab, I do have "Edit dimension when created" checked, yet IV does not display the edit dialogue box upon initial creation of the dimension.

Is there another option that is overriding my ability to edit, or another issue?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: meline

What exactly are you trying to edit about the dimension?  Are you trying to change it's value or just trying to add text to it.  If you are trying to change it's value that wont work because it is not a driving dimension.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15
crmayo

If you are trying to edit a model dimension from a drawing, you have to use retrieve dimension on the view.

So, right click on the view, retrieve dimension.  After you have inserted the dimension, right click on the value and select edit model dimension.  After you change the value, this should dynamically update the part.  I don't know of another option that will allow you to do this.

edit model dimension.png

Chris
Message 4 of 15
meline
in reply to: Cadmanto

Well, I used to be able to change a general dim to a tolerance or basic dim in the drawing, not able to do so now.

Message 5 of 15
blair

Editing the dimension would change the part, is "Enable part modification from within drawing" enable in the Application Options>Drawings tab

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 15
JDMather

Attach your files here (you can make up a simple dummy set that exhibits the same behavior).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: crmayo

There are also these settings in application options that might be the solution as well.

dim.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 8 of 15
meline
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks, I already checked that box and but it is not working as it should, wondering if another option is overriding it.
Message 9 of 15
JDMather

Attach example files here that exhibit this behavior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
meline
in reply to: JDMather

Attaching some files, hope you can replicate the issue...

Message 11 of 15
JDMather

Works as expected on your files in 2014.

Have you installed Update 3 for SP 2 for 2012?

Are you saying no Edit Dimension dialog box pops up when you double click a dimension in idw?

Are you running dual monitors (could the dialog be off the screen somewhere?

Does the dimension highlight with green dots when you double click on it?

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
meline
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, already installed update 3 for SP2, no help.

Corrrect, no Edit Dimension dialogue box when I double click or right click to shortcut menu.

I am using dual monitors but the box is not displaying on either monitor.

Yes, dimension does highlight with green dots....this is where the command seems to hang up, only thing I can do is ESC to terminate.

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

....this is where the command seems to hang up, only thing I can do is ESC to terminate.

The fact that you have to ESC to do anything else seems to indicate to me that the dialog box is off the screen somewhere.  Instructions on how to move a lost dialog box back onto the screen have been posted here in the past - a search might turn up the instructions.

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi meline,

See this link to retrieve a Missing Dialog Box in Autodesk Inventor :

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/missing-dialog-box.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 15 of 15

Hi Curtis Waguespack

thanks a ton! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report