Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPart Dimension to unresolved reference geometry error

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
randym1982
354 Views, 4 Replies

IPart Dimension to unresolved reference geometry error

I am having trouble with Iparts getting a red cross due to dimensions and constraints to unresolved reference geometry. If, for example, I have Hole 2 dimensioned from Hole 1 in one member and in another member I suppress Hole 1 and Hole 2 I get an error stating (correctly) that the sketch for Hole 2 has a "Dimension to unresolved reference geometry". I understand why I should get this error if Hole 2 was unsuppressed and Hole 1 was suppressed but why do I get this error when they are both suppressed.

If I get this error on a member that has these two holes suppressed and I switch back to a member that has them both active the error dissapears. I guess in the end this is a question for Autodesk. Can you set up Iparts so that when a feature is suppressed Inventor completely ignores it instead of still trying to resolve it. This functionality is a major headache for us because we don't want to leave models with the Red Cross on but if we want to dimension our features appropriately (ie referencing other, related features) we have to leave a model with errors in it.

Please see my attached part with this issue. If you switch within the first 2 members there are no errors, if you move into the last 2 members you will see the cross highlight.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I've been using Inventor for about 6 years now and this positively drives me insane. Has anyone (cough...Autodesk) come up with a solution for this issue? You can go in and re-dimension your sketches, but more often than not, you end dimensioning to something you really don't want to just to get rid of an error that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Message 3 of 5
IgorMir
in reply to: randym1982

Hi Randy,

I don't think you will get an answer from Autodesk any time soon. What you should do in a mean time is to avoid projecting model geometry in iParts. Project sketch geometry instead. Some times it is feasible to create a Shared Sketch and use it to control the features you need.

Here is a modified part for you.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for your help Igor. But really, Autodesk should be embarrassed by forcing users to not use model geometry as references in i-parts. If only some other software company had already figured out that suppressed features should also suppress the associated sketch.

Message 5 of 5
IgorMir
in reply to: billbrenner4604

The list of "embarrassing" things in Inventor is called by Autodesk a Wish list.Smiley LOL

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report