Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPN View not shading correctly

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
-Aaron-
1429 Views, 15 Replies

IPN View not shading correctly

Please see attached.  I became sick from trying to look through all the posts that come back on a search of the forums.  

Basically, the view for my IPN is not the same as the view from my assembly file.  The view on the left in the attached PNG is of my IPN and the view on the right is my assembly LOD. 

Can anyone direct me to a post, or an answer that will clarify why my IPN file shaded views are different from my IAM shaded views??

Thanks in advance...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
bobvdd
in reply to: -Aaron-

I would check what viewrep you have used and if you used a decal for the dial or not.
Those are the first two things that spring to mind.
Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 16
-Aaron-
in reply to: bobvdd

Bob, thanks for the reply.  There are no images anywhere on the dial of the gauge or of the rotameter that is bronze color.  The only reason why I think it's doing this is because they are multi-bodied parts?? Dunno yet, still searchin for an answer...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 4 of 16
-niels-

I have seen this, or at least similar, effect on a manometer i made.

Also a multi-body part, with a glass plate having a transparent color.

Apparently the .ipn reverts to the "main" solid color. (as if opacity was set to 100%)

I could start a rant on all the things that are wrong with ipn's, but i'll keep it to saying that ipn's seem to have had no development over the years... which is really starting to become frustrating.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 16
-Aaron-
in reply to: -niels-

Aw, man, for real Niels??? I'm glad I'm in a good relationship with the customer, he laughed when I sent over the 2 different representations of the product....

I guess no more presentations for me then.  I use many multi-bodied parts for my components and if this is the behavior.....

Niels, I see you're on 2012, is this issue still present in the latest release?

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 6 of 16
bobvdd

If someone on this thread would post a dataset, I would be more than happy to verify if this problem still exists on R2012.

Thanks.

Bob 

Bob Van der Donck

Message 7 of 16
-Aaron-

Bob, I when I get into work in the morning I will post the sample files. Thanks for the help...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 8 of 16
-niels-

Aaron & Bob; yes the problem still exists in 2012.

I've attached the manometer, which is not a very complex part.

It probably doesn't even need the glas in it, but it was modelled that way and it does show the ipn defect.

Just put the manometer in an iam, then make an ipn of that iam, place shaded views on a drawing to see the effect.

I have more examples, but it really comes down to using multi-body parts where one of the bodies is set to a transparent color. ~edit: added a very simple multi-body part that shows this.~

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 16
-Aaron-

Niels, thanks for uploading some files.  I had to rush out to a vendor to check on some frames we were getting made and didn't have any time to get my files uploaded..

Does anyone know if this will be fixed at all???

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 10 of 16
bobvdd

I confirmed this on R2012Sp1 and logged a priority 2 defect for this  with number1416648.

The transparent color of multi-body parst is not respected in drawing views of presentations.

We struggle in a similar manner with transparancy of multi-bodiy parts when rendering in Inventor Studio.

Hopefully by connecting these two defects we can come to a solution more rapidly. I am not in a position to give you estimates on when this can be fixed.

In the meantime I suggest you use the "Make components" command to turn your mutti-body part into an assembly.

Once in an assembly you can apply the transparent color to the individual parts. You can still continue to modify your multi-body part. You won't losoe associativity by going to the assembly if that would be any concern.

Thanks

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 11 of 16
-Aaron-

Bob, thanks for the reply about the fixing in progress, and I hope you guys do find a common link to the errors in either situation as my renderings don't come out like they should. Any "glass" solids I have in multi-bodied parts come out solid.  That's where I would use the rotameter as an assembly.  

But working in the T&P module, assemblies are not the option for me (unless I understood incorrectly).  I was under the impression that once in the T&P assembly, constraints don't play nice with each other and the routing functionality.  If you have a link or a doc that supports otherwise, I would most humbly ask for you to provide.  Other than that, thanks for sticking to the problem and I will await AD fixes...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 12 of 16
-niels-

Yes, thank you for logging the issue Bob.

I haven't had to render a multi-body in studio but it's good to know there are issues there too.

Hope it gets fixed before or in the next release.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 13 of 16
bobvdd

It also happens when deriving parts with transparent color. See this newsgroup discussion.
I made our QA department aware of our not so good track record on this matter. 

To Aron's point of not being able to use assemblies inside a T&P assembly. I would like to understand your presumed limitation better. A priori I don't know of any obstacles in such a scenario. Can you elaborate?

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 14 of 16
-Aaron-

Bob, let me try and search for the post I saw about constraints within the T&P module.  I do remember a poster saying that they didn't work well together, but I could have misunderstood...

-Aaron-
Formerly ASI_Aaron
i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-AR
Gigabyte GTX 970
16gb RAM
512gb Samsung 950 Pro
Message 15 of 16
cc_rider

Did this issue ever get fixed? I am seeing the same behavior in a .ipn file with a multi-body component (imported database). Inventor 2013.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 16
t_pcoll
in reply to: cc_rider

Hi,

I believe this was fixed in Franklin SP1. Please see this post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-General/IPN-View-not-shading-correctly/m-p/4453333/h...

Thanks
Ladislav

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report