Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW's of Modified Parts

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
elmotors
152 Views, 6 Replies

IDW's of Modified Parts

I have a part (IPT) and a drawing (IDW) that is generated from this part. If I have to make a part very similar to the first one, I can do so by saving the original as a new part name and performing the necessary changes on it. However, is there a way to also save the corresponding IDW with a new name or number and make it dependent on the NEW part? That way I would not have to produce an entirely new drawing, with dimensions, annotations etc.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToH
in reply to: elmotors

Open the drawing in Design assistant, make a copy of both the drawing and the part there. The new drawing will be linked to the new part.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Sounds good to me, but I can't figure out how to copy a drawing or a part in DA. Is it because I'm working in a Semi-isolated mode. -Mike "ToH" wrote in message news:3390516.1077780725045.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Open the drawing in Design assistant, make a copy of both the drawing and the part there. The new drawing will be linked to the new part.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

1) Copy both (IPT) and (IDW) with new names 2) Temporarily rename the original (IPT) file 3) Open the new (IDW) and when it can't find the original (IPT) point it to the new (IPT) 4) Save and exit the new (IDW) 5) Rename the original (IPT) back to its original name so the original (IDW) can find it. 6) Make edits to new (IPT) Hope this helps Rick "elmotors" wrote in message news:12130772.1077776048488.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I have a part (IPT) and a drawing (IDW) that is generated from this part. If I have to make a part very similar to the first one, I can do so by saving the original as a new part name and performing the necessary changes on it. However, is there a way to also save the corresponding IDW with a new name or number and make it dependent on the NEW part? That way I would not have to produce an entirely new drawing, with dimensions, annotations etc.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Yes, the multi-user mode in the active project must be off. Just set it to off mode for the DA operations. "mpower" wrote in message news:403df4fc$1_1@newsprd01... > Sounds good to me, but I can't figure out how to copy a drawing or a part in > DA. Is it because I'm working in a Semi-isolated mode. > > -Mike > > "ToH" wrote in message > news:3390516.1077780725045.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > Open the drawing in Design assistant, make a copy of both the drawing and > the part there. The new drawing will be linked to the new part. > >
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Search for this Subject Kathy Johnson gave me some real good advice "Reusing an Existing Drawing" Bill "elmotors" wrote in message news:12130772.1077776048488.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I have a part (IPT) and a drawing (IDW) that is generated from this part. If I have to make a part very similar to the first one, I can do so by saving the original as a new part name and performing the necessary changes on it. However, is there a way to also save the corresponding IDW with a new name or number and make it dependent on the NEW part? That way I would not have to produce an entirely new drawing, with dimensions, annotations etc.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

im waiting for a response for this type of thing but using the iAssyTools thingy, keep an eye on my thread!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report