Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW and DWG files launching a blank window in internet explorer, PLEASE HELP

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tlerchenfeld
2564 Views, 9 Replies

IDW and DWG files launching a blank window in internet explorer, PLEASE HELP

I apologize this isn't exactly the proper forum for this, but I am at wits end and have quite a few disgruntled employees.

Inventor 2013 and DWG trueview and Inventor View 2013 (or 2014) on a windows 7 computer.

Trying to launch files from an Intranet site.  The files always want to come up in a browser window.

In windows XP, I was able to go into File Types and override this by specifying the program (sometimes).

In Windows 7 the File Types have been redone, and I have no idea how to do this.

I want these files to launch in their respective programs ( .dwg files in trueview, .idw files in Inventor View).

PLEASE HELP.  This is happening on quite a few computers and I can't figure out how to stop it!

Things I've tried:

• Resetting internet explorer settings
  • Disabling all addons
  • Changing security settings to low

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Paul-Mason
in reply to: tlerchenfeld

Try this -

Start Explorer

1 Navigate to the folder that has a DWG file in it, any folder will do

2 Highlight one

3 Right click

4 Select OPEN WITH, you can then select the program to open that file with

5 In the open with window that pops up select the down arrowhead on rh side

6 If Trueveiw is there - if it is select that make sure that the check box saying Always used selected program for this type of file" is checked

7 If Truevew IS NOT listed select BROWSE and navigate to where the exe file is located click on that and the the second part of the above

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 3 of 10
tlerchenfeld

That was already tried.  It's not a matter of associating the file with the program that opens it. It opens fine outside of internet explorer.  I can even right-click the link and select "save target as", and then click "open" once the file is downloaded and it opens fine.  It's specifically when i left-click the link on the intranet page it opens a new browser window.

Message 4 of 10
samiharada

Do you see if other document types (like XLSX, DOCX) work as you expected?

or this is DWG/IDW specific?

If this is DWG/IDW specific, then I have no idea.

If not, I was just wondering if this KB is related to your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303650

Thank you,

-Sami Harada

Inventor Framework QA

Autodesk, Inc.

Email_Signature_Logobar.jpg

Message 5 of 10
tlerchenfeld

This is specific to IDW and DWG files.

This happens on all machines with Inventor 2013 or Inventor View 2013 installed.

The link you provided assumes i'm using a proxy, which I'm not.

Message 6 of 10
tlerchenfeld

This also did not happen in Inventor 2010.  I know I have read forums where some of the Inventor 2013 items were not being registered properly.

Message 7 of 10
awallace73

I'm having this exact same problem .. occurs on EVERY pc that I put the newest DWG Trueview on .. the problem is not associating the file extension and is isolated to Internet Explorer trying to open the file vs. the default program .. problem is, can't find how to make it stop.  The pcs in question are across the company .. dwg files available on the Intranet site to view .. we're talking windows xp/7 and IE8 and IE9.  ???

Message 8 of 10
dethier

Hello,

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem.

I am currently experiencing the same thing since we upgraded Internet Explorer from 9 to 11.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
awallace73
in reply to: dethier

Actually, I do have a resolution that thus far works every time for me.  It's a very simple registry hack which I've attached.  I hope this helps.  I will say though that I'm not running IE 11 yet .. refuse to .. too many sites not working properly with it.  I've been rolling all new pcs and laptops back to IE 9 or 10.  I shouldn't think that the version of IE will matter though.  Good luck 🙂

Message 10 of 10
dethier
in reply to: awallace73

Thanks, but my issue has now changed.

In my attempts to find a solution, I somehow managed to make it so that IE 11 will now prompt to open or save the file. If I select open, TrueView opens up properly.

I am now trying to get rid of this prompt, but I haven't been able to find a solution online yet.

If I ever manage to get back to to the blank window, I'll give your solution a try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report