Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to read the CER data

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
cadlad
1356 Views, 2 Replies

I want to read the CER data

Windows creates Windows Error Reports (WER), which I can read using AppCrash (http://www.appcrash.org/). Autodesk creates Customer Error Reports (CER). I want to be able to read the CER to see what is happening. Does Autodesk put out a utility to read the files that are created when a crash happens? The files it creates are in the following locations and have these extensions.

C:\Users\...\Appdata\Local\Temp\Inventor140505104304.dmp

C:\Users\...\Appdata\Local\Temp\dmpuserinfo.xml

C:\Users\...\Appdata\Local\Temp\dumpdata.zip

Dell Precision T3610 - Windows 7 SP1, 64x, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (driver 9.18.13.5306), Inventor 2013 SP2 Update 6 - *Autodesk Inventor Professional Certified*, AutoCAD 2014 SP1, Vault Professional 2014 SP1, 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pdxmcad
in reply to: cadlad

The dumpdata.zip is a standard ZIP file which holds the two other files you listed.  This is the file that is transmitted to Autodesk when you select "Send" in the CER dialog.

The .xml file can be viewed with any web browser or a text editor.  It holds basic system information like video driver version, ammount of memory in the system, etc., along with the information you entered into the CER dialog.

The .dmp file is a standard Windows memory dump which is used to show us the line of code where the crash actually happened.  To be able to do anything with this you would need a debugger (WinDBG, Visual Studio Express are two free ones), but because you don't have access to our source code the dump file won't give you any real information beyond which module the crash happened in.

-Mike

Mike Dickason
Inventor Development
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
cadlad
in reply to: pdxmcad

I installed the Windows Kit. This included WinDbg.exe. So I can now read the dmp file but as Mike says, I don't have access to their source code so it doesn't profit me anything.

Dell Precision T3610 - Windows 7 SP1, 64x, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K4000 (driver 9.18.13.5306), Inventor 2013 SP2 Update 6 - *Autodesk Inventor Professional Certified*, AutoCAD 2014 SP1, Vault Professional 2014 SP1, 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report