Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I used an AutoCAD technique to solve this

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
rickduley
6836 Views, 11 Replies

I used an AutoCAD technique to solve this

I am working on a textbook exercise in Inventor 2015.

6-103 Lever Bracket 400x276.jpg

The given drawing is quite hard to follow.  Actually, the resolution in the graphic above doesn't look too bad, but I have attached a PDF which might be more legible.  For those with a decent library or access to one, the book is 

Giesecke F.E., Mitchell A., Spencer H.C., Hill I.L., Dygdon J.T., & Novak J.E. (2014). Technical Drawing. Upper Saddle River (NJ) USA: Prentice Hall

and the exercise is 6.103 Lever Bracket on page 210.

Also attached is an IPT file which is the best I have been able to achieve so far with thise exercise.  I have had to change some of the dimensions to get an acceptable product, but there are still a few unresolved mysteries.

The first of these mysteries is creating the base plate.  The dimensions are given relative to the centres of holes which cause me a bit of a headache.  I resolved the problem by resorting to an AutoCAD technique which is laying out a dimensioned grid (Sketch 1) then outlining according to that (Sketch 2).

The question here is, "Is there an easier, more efficient, Inventor Style way of creating the part?"

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: rickduley

Not really sure why you did Sketch1, it's not constrained (grab and drag the RH Upper corner) and really a waste of time. Make use of the Origins, Sketch2 should be your primary sketch and a number of users would use the Boss hole to be located at the Origin Point. Feature6 could be a simple cut out of the back-side.

I don't have my reading glasses at my desk at home, I did a quick model of the base. I didn't constrain the Upper LH straight edge as the PDF is pretty blurry. It should give you and idea, I also Shared the base Sketch1 to use for other features.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
nmunro

Here is an example of how you might approach it. Try to lay out the interface features (typically hole and bore locations) as early as possible. A few dimensions did not make sense and others in the pdf were hard to decode so it a bit of a guesstimate. The resulting IV model is much much easier to change than a 3D AutoCAD solid (created using non parametric solids).

Model is IV2014 format.

https://c3mcad.com

Message 4 of 12
rickduley
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair

FTR:  I was going to start that way but I could see issues with getting all the other holes in the right places.

Also, and you can try this with my file if you like, I could not get the centre of the Boss to be coincident with the Origin.  All the verticals were constrained vertical, and the horizontals constrained horizontal.  Concidence with Origin would have pretty-well made Figure 1 fully constrained.  Couldn't get it.  Gave up.

Message 5 of 12
rickduley
in reply to: nmunro

Thanks for that.

I cannot figure out how you set the two dimensions I have inserted as derived dimensions.  All these holes are positioned in relation to other holes.  It was because of those that I did the layout grid.

How did you set those dimensions?

Message 6 of 12
JDMather

Here is my attempt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
blair

A simple Off-set work plane from the Origin would solve the creation of the LH Boss.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 12
JDMather

@rickduley wrote:

....  I resolved the problem by resorting to an AutoCAD technique which is laying out a dimensioned grid (Sketch 1) then outlining according to that (Sketch 2). 

Thanks

Here is a comparison of your Sketch 1 & 2 and my Sketch1.

Note that you have not located the origin at a logical location - I located at the datum for most of the dimensions.

(I thought we covered the BORN Technique in some detail previously?)  (I did cheat a bit on that though - as I should have used the bottom machined surface as a datum.)

Note that you have repeated dimensions - I guess if you like doing extra work....

Note the dimensions circled in red are incorrect.

Extra work sketching.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! If I were you, I would consolidate features as much as possible. It should be possible to just create 4 sketches (one for XZ view, one for YZ view, and two for the Ribs). Then share the sketches to create necessary features. Also, as a good practice to ensure feature editability, try to create fillets as the last group of features when possible.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

..... It should be possible to just create 4 sketches.

Thanks!

I used a 5th sketch to cut away cast material that I had added for the purpose of better fillets.

Since the part is machined from a casting....

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
PaulMunford

I just wanted to make sure that the OP has seen this :

http://resilientmodeling.com/_4-Inventor.html

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 12 of 12
rickduley
in reply to: PaulMunford

Thanks Paul, but I get 404d when I try that link.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report