Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot delete the unused Material in the Material Editor

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
Orest_iy
7794 Views, 26 Replies

I cannot delete the unused Material in the Material Editor

I can delete every unused material except one in the Material Editor.

I am trying to make the custom Material library and somehow

I have got the Material I cannot delete.

http://screencast.com/t/DgJBgZvLVSuw

Please advise something wrong with this material?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
mcgyvr
in reply to: bob_holland

@Anonymous wrote:

@Orest_iy,

You need to set the part to something like generic with a default appearance.

Save your file.

Then go to the manage tab and use purge to remove then from your document.

You may still then need to remove a leftover appearnace.

Please try this and let me know if this does or does not work.

@bob_holland 

Bob, Can you please take a look at this part and see why "Aluminum-6061" cannot be deleted from the document materials..

Also seems like I have stuck appearances too in there.. 

I dumbed this down to remove company specific stuff but I have many..many files that have similar "stuck" materials/appearances and I'd like to clean them up/out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 22 of 27
bob_holland
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr,

I think that the material is corrupt.

One was associated to a sheet metal style.

Removing the style allowed me to remove the material.

It also looks like there are a couple of appearance styles that are also corrupt.

Will a derived part work for you?

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 23 of 27
mcgyvr
in reply to: bob_holland

@Anonymous wrote:

@mcgyvr,

I think that the material is corrupt.

One was associated to a sheet metal style.

Removing the style allowed me to remove the material.

It also looks like there are a couple of appearance styles that are also corrupt.

Will a derived part work for you?

Thank you.

@bob_holland I just run into these all the time (all started with the 2013 massive changes from colors to appearances) and was just hoping there was a simple method to clean them out or something...

I have literally hundreds of files that have "stuck" materials/appearances like this..  

I'd rather just leave them vs deriving or anything if there is no way to fix the file as is.. 

I did come into work a few days ago and opened an assembly and out of no where got some "sheet metal rule cannot be found blah blah error" then tried to add a new appearance and couldn't as I was presented with a "your style library is corrupt, cannot save blah blah" message (had that maybe 5-7 or so times since 2013s changes too).. So as I was rebuilding all that I thought I'd see if there was something I could do about these sticky materials/colors..  

Thanks for checking.. I'll just leave them and just know its just corruption and I'm SOL.. It doesn't seem to have any effect on anything that I can tell. I was just hoping to "clean it up" via some magic trick and came across this post and the solution shown here didn't work at all.. 

Thanks again.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 24 of 27
freesbee
in reply to: mcgyvr

...old topic but current problem: anyone has an idea, why from this part the 1.4301 material cannot be purged, as also a couple of appearances in there?

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 25 of 27
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Orest_iy

Hi Massimo,

I suspect these styles are corrupted. I used our internal debug tool to check the styles. The "unused" styles are shown as being used. This is wrong. Essentially, they are not used but they are marked as used. I have seen corruption cases like this before. But, I don't know how to reproduce it from scratch.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 26 of 27
freesbee
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you Johnson for your debugging!

This is quite annoying: that ipt file is my content center family template, so the error could potentially be replicated on some hundred of parts, as it normally happens for a screw. Is there even no API method to rip off those unused appearances and materials?

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 27 of 27
johnsonshiue
in reply to: freesbee

Hi Massimo,

Unfortunately not. There is no API to remove such corrupted styles, once they are marked as In Used. I am sorry!

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report