Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot delete the unused Material in the Material Editor

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
Orest_iy
7712 Views, 26 Replies

I cannot delete the unused Material in the Material Editor

I can delete every unused material except one in the Material Editor.

I am trying to make the custom Material library and somehow

I have got the Material I cannot delete.

http://screencast.com/t/DgJBgZvLVSuw

Please advise something wrong with this material?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
blair
in reply to: Orest_iy

Is the "Appearance" being using in the current open document? You can't delete a item that is being used in the current opened document.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 27
Orest_iy
in reply to: blair

No, this not deleteable part uses different appearance.

Current part uses another Material with different appereance and physical properties.

As you can see from video I can delete not used Material.

I even cannot assign this problematic Material to the part.

http://screencast.com/t/Av5OAnx7gM

Message 4 of 27
blair

Try using the "Clear Appearance Overrides" and see it that helps to delete the "Appearance" item. If it's not used it should be able to be deleted from the "Current" folder.

You may need to close the assembly and re-open it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 27
Orest_iy

This parts has no any overrides.

This material has a copy in the Material list but no chance to delete it, see picture attached.

I did all possible ways except probably a spell exile dancing but seems like it a permanent problem.

Message 6 of 27
blair

Can you delete other items in your Library?

Could somehow been corrupt when it was created.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 27
Orest_iy

Yes I can add others and delete when not used. Seems it some sort of corruption.

It is just one file and so far not repeated problem nevertheless I am creating the own library. Inventor had crashed just three times so far but compare to 2013 it going much and much better. I could not make own library in 2013 at all due to enormous amount of crashes and errors and jumped to 2014 from 2012.

Message 8 of 27
blair

Make sure you have installed all the SP's and Fixes

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 27
Orest_iy

I started 2014 just because the SP was issued. I have toooo sad experience with 2013 I started right I receive it. Of course I have SP and several more updates installed.

Message 10 of 27
bob_holland

Orest_iy,

Can you please post your file or private message me with it so that I can take a look at it.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 11 of 27
Orest_iy
in reply to: bob_holland

Here is part attached

Message 12 of 27
bob_holland

Orest_iy,

You need to set the part to something like generic with a default appearance.

Save your file.

Then go to the manage tab and use purge to remove then from your document.

You may still then need to remove a leftover appearnace.

Please try this and let me know if this does or does not work.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 13 of 27
Orest_iy
in reply to: bob_holland

Yes, that worked out for material and appearance. I've got a clead generic material with only default appearance.

Thank you for advise

Message 14 of 27
dominiek_vanwest

Hi, I have the same problem.

I tried the solution above, but it doesn't work.

How can I remove unused materials? And why is it so difficult to remove them? If I have a better understanding, maybe I can find a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Dominiek

Message 15 of 27
iMaJiNe_Designs

I'm dealing with the same problem with a table driven iPart.  The table lists Generic as the material as does the part body.  I have the Appearance set to Default for the single body in the part file, and I've made sure all faces have the Default appearance too.  I'm trying to get rid of two unused Materials and one unused Appearance.

I tried the Purge command under the Manage Ribbon and all it finds are background styles.

It's not a show-stopper problem; but it would be nice if the part file were clean.

I'm using Inventor 2015 SP1, Update 1, Build 203

Message 16 of 27
cgorman
in reply to: iMaJiNe_Designs

I, too, am having this problem in Inventor Pro 2014.  None of the aformentioned suggestions work.  I've even checked every surface in the part individually for overrides.  This is causing me check-in problems with Vault.

Tags (1)
Message 17 of 27
iMaJiNe_Designs
in reply to: cgorman

I just loaded SP2 for Inventor 2015; but I haven't had a chance to see if the bug has been squashed.

Message 18 of 27
cgorman

Unfortunately, I'm unable to upgrade due to corporate restrictions.  We usually do the even years and should be on 2016 by fall this year.

Message 19 of 27
cgorman

For giggles, I just tried deleting all the linked OLE objects using some VB code to see if that would help. It didn't.
Message 20 of 27
iMaJiNe_Designs

Make sure the corporate IT wienies responsible for managing the software test out Inventor 2016, AutoCAD 2016, etc before putting it out for general use.

I just installed Inventor 2016, AutoCAD 2016, etc and anything that requires access to the licensing mechanism won't start even theough the licensing service is running and my serial number and product key are valid.

I'm waiting to hear from Autodesk on how to fix this problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report