Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydroforming Suggestions

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Generic
776 Views, 10 Replies

Hydroforming Suggestions

Is it possible to simulate hydroforming in Inventor, or does Autodesk offer another software package that does?

We manufacture rupture devices by bulging coil stock with air; and have a few non-spherical products that seem to render "revolve" and "loft" useless.

The primary shapes interest are: a circle bulged over a bar, a free bulged rectangle, and a rectangle bulged over several bars, circle bulged with flat (see below).

Suggestions?

Circle w/ Bar.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Generic

@Generic wrote:

that seem to ..."loft" useless.

Why do you say that?
Are you familiar with surface modeling?

Are you familiar with (Boundary) Patch?

I will post some examples later today.

What version of Inventor are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
mrattray

You can model these, but you wont be able to create flat patterns from them in Inventor. You'll need to look for third party software if you require flat blanks.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

These are examples I had already done - if you want a solution to one of your specific problems - attach the ipt of what you attempted so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 11
Generic

You caught my qualifier there. Smiley Wink

The skylight is similar, and I'll take a look at it in closer detail. Thank you kindly for the commands to investigate and examples to boot.

The headeache I run into are these compound curves that are not defined by anything other than the material's stretch and constraining geometery (a bit different than a mold / hard cap application I think). It'd be nice to define the constraint, relative material properties, and applied pressure. To simulate reality in other words.

(Thankfully, no flat patterns needed, mrattray.)

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

I am fairly confident that there are parametric solutions in Inventor, but if not, you might check out the new Fusion 360 program (not to be confused with Inventor Fusion).

Message 7 of 11
Generic

Below is what I'd like to be able model.

The built in FEA does exactly what I'm after. I want to create/modify a solid feature in the part tree using the same inputs as FEA (a formed shape defined by its constraints).

Disc.png

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

Are you showing Actual results or exaggerated results?

The FEA is limited to relatively small displacements, and in any case, does not allow you to save in the deformed shape.

If the Loft or other tools don't give you what you need, the Form tool in Inventor 2015 might be another option.

Message 9 of 11
Generic
in reply to: JDMather

Exaggerated certainly, in this particular case. However, on any given day we bulge everything from .001" to >.250" coil and sheet using a few PSI to tens of thousands of PSI.

I understand that this is a bit of a niche, but Simulator produces the correct geometry using the inputs we control (material properties, constraining geometry, and pressure). I'm looking at 2015's free form tools, but the issue remains that I would be working backward from studying manufactured goods instead of defining the items I actually have control of. I'll give IdeaStation a whirl just to document the wish.

Thank you JDMather for your input. It will helpful in the near term.

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/idb-p/v1232

I like the idea of having functionality of saving in the deformed state, but -

1. I have no idea of the complexity of programming the software to do that (the other MCAD tools I use don't do it either).

2. I suspect an issue of "quality check" would arise for Autodesk as users might expect more reliability from the process than it is capable of producing.  It is implicit in FEA results that the results must be interpreted by a professional user.

And again - the limitation is "relatively" small displacements.  If you are deforming a thin sheet .25", I don't think that meets the criterial of "relatively small displacement"

Actual Displacement.png

and in any case,

the very nature of your work is to go beyond the elastic deformation portion of the curve into plastic deformation.

Then at least one of the other two limitations of FEA are then violated.

Limited to isotropic materials.

Limited to linear static stress within the elastic deformation.

Message 11 of 11
Generic
in reply to: JDMather

I had a good laugh when selecting "Actual" on the displacment display.

I take your points,as far as I can understand them, and thank you again for your time.

This is all well beyond me, I'm an ignorant drafter in search of a better hammer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report