Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to take into account, that assemblies shrink during welding?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dhlpresvac
286 Views, 2 Replies

How to take into account, that assemblies shrink during welding?

Hello.

I have an assembly where I've placed three parts on top of each other. When measuring the total height of the three parts in inventor, it of course gives me the sum of the height of the three parts. The problem is, that Inventor gives me the same height after welding has been added, when in reality the total height has shrunk because of the welding. This has caused me problems during machining, because the height after welding, is now less than what it should be after machining.

So the question is, how can this shrinking during welding, be taken into account in Inventor? Is there a function in the welding environment that allows me to enter the shrinkage?

Thank you very much for you help

-David Larsen

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jurgen.galba
in reply to: dhlpresvac

you'll have to know your percentage of shrink, then you might use a [Derived Component] and scale with a factor you desire

It is like an X-Ref for AutoCAD.

• Open a New part
  • go to the tab [Manage] and click [Derive]
  • select your assembly, after welding
  • a derived assembly dialog box appears, where you can include, exclude, substract, ...components
    and in the tab [Options] you can fill in the scale factor. But this scale factor is in all directions !!!!

- Aut viam inveniam aut faciam -
(I shall either find a way or make one.)
Message 3 of 3
dhlpresvac
in reply to: jurgen.galba

Hello Jurgen.

Thank you for your answer. But as you say, the scale is in all directions. We only experience shrinkage in one direction, everything else stays the same, so we can unfortunately not use that method.

Any other ways?

And one more thing, the shrinkage is not linear across the height, it only shrinks right around the heated zone during the welding.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report