Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to select elements when some of them are in patterns

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
GLasas
1349 Views, 14 Replies

How to select elements when some of them are in patterns

Hello,
I have big assembly and I want to get quick selection by cube or sphere or simple window. But if some elements (parts or assemblies) are in the pattern, they also selects. I don't need these other elements in the pattern. What the suggestion would be? Thank you
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: GLasas

Level of Detail or Design Views
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 15
harco

Set the selection dropdown to parts instead of components, it will ignore patterns but will select parts in the pattern that are contained by the simple window.
Message 4 of 15
GLasas

Yes, of course, then you are selecting same elements all the time. But in my case I need to select differen assemblies or parts
Message 5 of 15
GLasas

Usually I do as you said, but sometimes its not very good, because I need to select whole assemblies (whitch are in the selection window), not only parts. After selection I use Isolate and want to see assemblies. As I see its impossible 😞
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

OK so what you need is a combination of Component Priority (which selects
"top level" objects like sub assemblies and patterns) and part priority
(which picks lowest level parts)...

I think what you are requesting is a way to temporarily (or maybe
permanently) change Component Priority to not select the entire pattern but
pick inside it according to whatever other selection rules you are
following...

As of 2010 there is no way to do that, we don't have the patterns as a
separately filterable selection target.

--
Steve Dennis
Autodesk Inventor Core Apps Tech Lead
wrote in message news:6241758@discussion.autodesk.com...
Usually I do as you said, but sometimes its not very good, because I need to
select whole assemblies (whitch are in the selection window), not only
parts. After selection I use Isolate and want to see assemblies. As I see
its impossible 😞
Message 7 of 15
harco

I would guess that most of us don't see patterns as components as such, we would tend to use patterns just as a quick method of inserting similar parts or assys in a regular arrangement.
Usually the only time we want to select a pattern is to edit or delete it.
Is there any other reason to pick a pattern? Even if you want to set it invisible this can be done by selecting all its parts.

What would be handy would be a filter similar to the custom filter in the drawing environment where you can set a custom list of standard objects that you want to select, say all parts and assys.

I probably use select all occurrences most often to set either a view rep or colour style to parts or assys in a pattern without selecting the pattern.

Most of the modelling selections are variations on an geometric shape box,sphere or one side of a plane.
I don't often use these as they are so similar to the window select.

Maybe custom filter should be a wishlist item.
That's my tuppence worth.
Message 8 of 15
davidgwoolard
in reply to: harco

Does Inventor 2010 have the funcationality discussed above yet?  Can you select an assembly or subassembly that is a part of a pattern from the window, using your mouse, instead of having to go to the model tree, expand the pattern, and hover over each component of that pattern until the part or subassemly that you desire to edit is highlighted in the window????  

Currently, I have been instruced to delete the pattern.  Then you can use the mouse in the model window to visually select the assembly, or subassembly you desire to edit.  You can then either open that assembly, or note the part number.  You can then undo the deletion of the pattern (basically you are reapplying the pattern).  You then search for that part number in the pattern within the model tree, and open it to edit.  This is a long tedious process when you should be able to right click an assembly in the model window and open that for editing, even if it is a part of a pattern.  

Tags (3)
Message 9 of 15
mrattray
in reply to: davidgwoolard

I'm going to assume that asking if 2010 has it yet was a mistake.

If you organized and named your patterns in a logical fashion it would be a non-problem.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 15
davidgwoolard

No, asking if 2010 offered that funcationality was not a mistake.  It is possible that things like this can be fixed in updates, patches, addons, etc. 

Also, sure if you do everything different from the beginning, this would not be an issue.  But I did not ask how to avoid the issure, I asked a specific question. I am working with models made years back by previous engineers.  Please answer the question asked and not make non-related suggestions.

Message 11 of 15

rebuild the model

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 12 of 15
mrattray
in reply to: davidgwoolard

@davidgwoolard wrote:

No, asking if 2010 offered that funcationality was not a mistake.  It is possible that things like this can be fixed in updates, patches, addons, etc. 

Also, sure if you do everything different from the beginning, this would not be an issue.  But I did not ask how to avoid the issure, I asked a specific question. I am working with models made years back by previous engineers.  Please answer the question asked and not make non-related suggestions.

Sure. It's possible that there'll be a bag of money in may car after work, too.

The answer is fix the poorly made model.

@Ryan.Martinezwrote:
rebuild the model

What is that supposed to do for him?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 15
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: mrattray

it will fix the poorly made model like you just suggested.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 14 of 15
mrattray
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

@ryan.martinez wrote:

it will fix the poorly made model like you just suggested.

Oh, I get what you mean. Sory, I thought you meant click "Rebuild All".

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 15
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: mrattray

Yeah my bad, rebuild was the wrong word to use.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report