Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a piece from object in Inventor 2013

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
thecapper
3062 Views, 5 Replies

How to remove a piece from object in Inventor 2013

I'm currently learning Inventor, but I haven't seen this function covered in a tutorial: I need to remove a piece from my part that is an odd shape. In my case, it's an inverted pyramid. I don't think there is a way to extrude it and cut, but is there a way to sketch the shape and have the bottom point constrained to my object's center? So far I can sketch on the top face, but can't connect lines to a point not on that same surface.

Any suggestions as to the best method are very much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: thecapper

Have you discovered the extrude functions taper parameter yet?

sqr_pyramid.jpg

Or you could also make the pyramid as a part on it's own, then derive it into your part and perform a boolean type cut operation.

Message 3 of 6
thecapper
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

Hi CAG_DRAFT,

Thanks for the tip! I was excited to see the flyout menu for the Extrude function. I have created my sketch on the top face of my part, but it won't let me do any extrusion, so I haven't gotten to play with the taper tool yet. I suspect a constraint problem. I was encouraged to see that your starting shape was the same light green color as mine. Do you know what I need to change to free the finished sketch on the face?

Here's how mine looks:

extrude part.jpg

Message 4 of 6
CCarreiras

Hi!

You have a multi solid, so you have to chose the profile and also the solid.

If you can´t chose a profile, probably it's because it isnt closed, so edit the sketch and close it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 5 of 6
JDMather

You also have the outside edges projected - so you have two closed profiles.  Which one do you want (you have to tell Inventor).

I recommend you go through these

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

and attach *.ipt files here when you run into trouble.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
thecapper
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you all for the advice. JD, I have downloaded your 60 Inventor Tips, and will refer to it as I learn. I have the tutorial course taught by John Helfen, and this first project has made me realize that I need to go back into it and complete some of the exercises, which I am now doing. I wasn't clear on open and closed profiles, and I'm still fuzzy on sketch projections, but I'll keep at it.

Thank you again for taking the time to help out,

thecapper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report