Inventor General Discussion

e.borkent
Message 1 of 3 (780 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to make cables for a cable stayed bridge

780 Views, 2 Replies
11-15-2012 02:50 AM

Hello everybody,

This is my first message here, and I hope someone can help me out.

It is a while ago since I used Inventor, so i'm now just practising a bit to get the hang of it.

As a start a cable stayed bridge looked fun. So I made the towers and the roaddeck. But now comes the tricky part, and that are the cables themselves. When I started I just thought I could use the 3D sketsh feature. But as it turns out, that feature is not available in the Assembley environment. I could just make the cables as a Part and then insert them in the assembley, but that is to much work. As you can see from the pictures below the holes I made in the towers to accomodate the cables do not line up with the edge of the roaddeck on which I want to secure them. So the cables make to much angles for me to make the as a part. And besides that, I just think it could be done more easily. 

Below you can see the images I made of the bridge so far. The first one is an overall image, the second one shows the tower with the holes (if the holes won't work, I can always make something else), and the third image shows the area on which the cables will be attached to the roaddeck.

Can this be done in the Assembley environment?

I hope someone has a solution for this. 

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Note: I planned this to be a cable stayed bridge, not a suspension bridge. But tips to make this into a susension bridge are welcome as well.

For the record: I'm using Inventor 2012

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 3 (763 Views)

Re: How to make cables for a cable stayed bridge

11-15-2012 03:48 AM in reply to: e.borkent

Start a new part file.

Derive Component the bridge assembly as a surface body into the new part file.

You can now model your cables in place.

Turn off the visibility of the derived surface when finished.

Use 3 Mate Flush constraints to xy, xz and yz planes to constrain the new part in the assembly.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
e.borkent
Message 3 of 3 (728 Views)

Re: How to make cables for a cable stayed bridge

11-15-2012 09:06 AM in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for your reply,. I forgot about the derive function. Now the bridge has some cables.

Erik

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube