Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
lkrenzler
Message 1 of 7 (342 Views)

How to make an X-crimp in sheet metal?

342 Views, 6 Replies
11-27-2013 08:54 AM

Sorry, this seems like it should be so easy and it probably is...

I have a number of flat pannels (roughtly 4x5 feet) that need a 3/4" x-crimp (basically push out the center 3/4").  Is there an easy way to do this?  I'm having a bit of trouble figuing it out.  I have a lot of pannels to make, all different sizes so it needs to be easy to change the basic pannel size.

I can make the pannel with conventional tools easy enough but then the flange (and other sheet metal tools) won't work (says it's not a sheet metal edge even though it is the same thickness).

Any ideas?  Any help is much appreciated.  I'm on 2014.

New Inventor User, recently moved from 2011 to 2014 - Win. 7.
Distinguished Mentor
ccarreiras
Message 2 of 7 (325 Views)

Re: How to make an X-crimp in sheet metal?

11-27-2013 09:08 AM in reply to: lkrenzler

Hi!

There´s a proper tool to do these kind of operation.

Do the flat Pattern and then in this FP enviroment, use the tool "Cosmetic Centerline"

1.png

Check it!!

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-FC6F4597-DEB7-40E5-911E-7DB5F4536AF0

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CarlosC

Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk Factory Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Windows 7 64Bit
Valued Contributor
lkrenzler
Message 3 of 7 (317 Views)

11-27-2013 09:23 AM in reply to: ccarreiras

Thanks.  I see what that does but it doesn't modify the 3D model.  I was hoping to put an actual crimp it it (we're doing detailed 3D renderings later) and it needs to appear in that as well, so it would be nice to have a correct solid.

Is there any way to actually crimp it?

I tried making a 3D sketch, surfacing it, thickening it to the right thickness but then the other sheet metal tools won't work (mainly the flange tool I need).

Valued Contributor
lkrenzler
Message 4 of 7 (294 Views)

11-27-2013 10:15 AM in reply to: lkrenzler

Well, I've done it in a round about way, not sure if this is the best.

I created a 3D sketch with the correct geometry.  I created 4 surfaces from the 3D sketch (because inventor won't make a sheet metal face from a 3D sketch it seems...grrrrr).  Created 4 2D sketches from the surfaces.   Created 4 sheet metal faces from the 4 2D sketches.  The 4 sheet metal faces are joined by bends which proved a bit tricky but if finally worked.  The is s small hole in the center from the bend relief which I'm not sure how to fix.

I can't figure out why inventor won't make a sheet metal face from a 3D sketch.  Inventor seems to be full of odd occurances like that, you can do so many cool things...except when you need to.

Oh well, this method works, sort of.

Valued Mentor
BLHDrafting
Message 5 of 7 (236 Views)

11-27-2013 03:30 PM in reply to: lkrenzler

If you think about the output of the crimp it creates a square base pyramid, and to make this in the real world requires plastic deformation of the metal, usually by using press dies. Inventor doesn't do this type of deformation.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blh.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2013 PDS Premium SP2 Update 3 (Build 200), Vault 2013 Workgroup Update 2 (Build 17.2.9.0)
Distinguished Mentor
ccarreiras
Message 6 of 7 (195 Views)

11-28-2013 06:24 AM in reply to: lkrenzler

Hi!

You dont need such perfection (Reliefs, etc) because in Show case you will not notice that.

Just make a solid with the same geometry as the deformed (crimped) sheet metal part and place it in the assembly.

Make a new assembly (a copy from the main assembly, Dont damage your "production information") and replace the sheet metal parts  with the new "crimp solids". Use this copyed assembly to achieve the renders, use the main assembly to create documentation 2D to production.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CarlosC

Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk Factory Design Suite Ultimate 2015
Windows 7 64Bit
Valued Contributor
lkrenzler
Message 7 of 7 (185 Views)

11-28-2013 06:56 AM in reply to: ccarreiras

Thanks guys.  The shop that makes the pannels already knows how to make them, they don't even look at the sheet metal data I send them so that's not a concern.  I need them to look correct (for presentation purposes) in both Inventor and ultimately rendered in Softimage.

I found a bit better solution.  I had to leave a small flat boarder around the edge before the crimp starts so that the flange tool would work.  I've attached my solution if anyone has an interest.

I can change the dimensioins easily enough which was the goal.  For some strange reason, when I change the length to something much longer, the flanges are reversed for no apparent reason.  Strange...

Thanks! - Len

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube