Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a clip part, using a bend or curl feature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dalibu
711 Views, 4 Replies

How to make a clip part, using a bend or curl feature

Hello-

Since I have only been with Inventor a few years I do not know everything. With Pro-Engineer I can use the spinal bend tool to curl a part around a spline. In the example attached, I start with a flat part. Then I can see how it might be when it is flexed - as it would be in an assembly, etc. No matter how complex the original part, all of the geometery is changed. Is there a way to do this in Inventor? Many thanks.

David

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: dalibu

The easiest way is to assign an arc length parameter and then drive the radius dimension.

As a arc radius gets larger - the arc approaches a straight line curve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
dalibu

That's good to know, but that technique won't solve the problem. Imagine a fairly complex part, and as the last feature, you want to flex it a bit to see how it would be in assembly. Alternatively, you might want to flex it so that it is moulded in a certain position, and after moulding it might relax a little. It would be a very useful addition to the Inventor features option.

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Have you tried Bend Part feature? All you need is a straight line intersecting the part body and a driven (or driving) parameter dictating the part length. Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
dalibu

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the bend feature. Although powerful, it seems to distort attached features. (please see the attached). I am therefore going to accept JDMather's solution for this post. Thank you all for your contributions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report