Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to downscale a part with all its sketches, planes and geometry?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
tomsed
2198 Views, 11 Replies

How to downscale a part with all its sketches, planes and geometry?

Hi,

As my head title says, I need to downscale whole assembly if its possible. If not, its no problem for me to downscale every single part separately (apx. 30pcs) and then put it together again but I need to downscale it with all its modeling history - sketches, planes and other geometry. I can't select them when using DERIVE function.

I'm open to every proposal

This really matter to me, because I will need to work with derived model and adjust it.

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
waynehelley
in reply to: tomsed

I know this would be possible to achieve by writting an ilogic program that just goes through each parameter one by one and multiplies them by a scale factor (I'm not quite sure how to command ilogic to run a rule on every existing parameter but I am sure there is a way).

Alternatively, for each part, you could open the parameters dialogue and go through each parameter one by one and paste a scale factor (for example paste '*0.5' after every existing dimension).

Maybe even link the parameters to a spreadsheet and use Excel to quickly modify every dimension by a set scale factor.

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 3 of 12
waynehelley

Within the part environment you can scale down a part using this little bit of code (make sure 'don't run automatically' in the Options section of the ilogic dialogue is selected and you update the part after running the rule)

On Error Resume Next
ScaleFactor=0.5
For i = 0 To 200
Parameter("d"&i)=Parameter("d"&i)*ScaleFactor
Next

It will work if all your parameters are named using the defualt format up to 200 (d0, d1... d200).  If you have complex parts, it will need adjusting so that it doesn't multiply angles by the scale factor.  I am sure there is a much better way of getting inventor to run a rule on every parameter but I am not sure how.

It will be possible to do this within the assembly environment, with a code that is capable of adjusting the parameters in each parts one by one.

Wayne Helley

Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 12
SBix26
in reply to: waynehelley

It's not just angles that you have to avoid-- if any parameters are equations based on other parameters you'll get crazy results, too.  A very common example would be "d12 / 2 ul"-- you don't want that one multiplied by a scale factor since it's already included in d12.

I'm afraid there's no Easy button on this one; it depends entirely on the geometry involved.

Message 5 of 12
waynehelley
in reply to: SBix26

Would it not be possible to use a function which only multiplies parameters by the scale factor if they are numeric and do not contain 'deg'?

I know there will then be problems with values such as '190mm - d11' (as the value '190mm' would need to be multiplied by the scale factor but 'd11' needs to remain as it is) but maybe if the ilogic rule comes accross one of these values, it could trigger an input box to then manually change the value of the parameter in question.

Wayne Helley

Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 6 of 12
SBix26

I'm sure it would be possible to write a program/macro/rule that would do the job for 75% of cases, but I'm just going through several scenarios in my head that would be really tough to do manually, let alone trying to automate.  If the automated thing got it wrong on only one parameter, you could end up with a trashed model and a really difficult "needle in a haystack" search for the problem.  But for relatively simple models, I think this could be done.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 12
waynehelley

What about if the program replaces the 'Equation' field of the parameter with the 'Nominal Value' field before multiplying any values by the scale factor. Is it possible to access the Nominal Value field within ilogic?

Wayne Helley

Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 8 of 12
tomsed

Thanks for very qiuck answer, but unfortunately none of your solutions works for me.

I dont think I can downscale a 3D model just by multiplication its parameters. I does not make any sence to me.

In spite of the fact,that this is really heavy going solution I tried to do it with two part.

First (the simple one) became smaller, but not according to my scale factor (0,5). Total high of the part decreased to a number not much smaller than original value.

Second part (very complicated part) showed me an error log.

I changed the parameters manually, but i dont think this is the reason.

Message 9 of 12
tomsed

yes, that's what I did. I multiplied only values in mm and I also skipped the values dxx/ x ul. This solution is maybe possible only for simple parts, but definitely not for bigger ones. sample in attachment

Message 10 of 12
blair

You last picture shows a single part which could be table driven.

Possibly look at Solid-Body modeling, which one "master" body controls the parts

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
tomsed
in reply to: blair

That's the part I just posted. This is the master body and its impossible to downscale it by changing its parameters. 

I'm gonna contact our company's autodesk support tomorrow, so maybe we'll find solution together. I'll let you know.

Message 12 of 12
tomsed

Ok, only possible solution it to make all sketches, planes and geometry (you need to derive) visible and shared in the main tree. Then you can select them when using derive function. I hope it will work

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report