Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create an animation of coils winding around two shaft?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
yuhanes
2409 Views, 12 Replies

How to create an animation of coils winding around two shaft?

Good morning. My name is Yuhanes Dedy and I am doing a Master program. Currently, I am still working on creating an animation of winding coil machine and the most difficult thing in creating this animation is on creating animation when the coil winds around two shafts. I use Autodesk Inventor 2011 and in the attachment files, I upload the inventor files so you can open it. 
I would like to ask how to make the animation that show more similar process with the real machine. Is it possible to create such kind of animation using Inventor? Because I also got advice that it seems difficult to create such kind of animation without using 3ds Max. Please give me some advice about it. I have been thinking about how to solve this for few days, but I got no useful results. Thank you very much,

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Mark.Downes
in reply to: yuhanes

Hi yuhanes,

I am using Inventor 2014 so you won’t be able to open this part, but a trick I use to animate a coil (my part is made up example) is make a 3D sketch, use a point at one end, pattern a point along a 3D sketch, use work plans normal to curve on point, sketch on these planes, use loft with Centre line (3D sketch as guide)

Hope this make a bit of sense (see video attached)

Cheers

Mark

Inventor 2014

Capture-01.JPG

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 3 of 13
yuhanes
in reply to: Mark.Downes

Dear Mark Downes

Thank you very much Mr Mark Downes for your reply. Would you mind if I sent two videos to your email to explain more clearly what problem I have since I can't upload in here? My problem is more complex than you think and I couldn't explain it unless I show you those videos, i.e. video that show how the real machine works and how I have made the animation up to now. Thanks to tutorial videos in youtube, I know how to make animation like the video you put in the attachment. But the problem is the coil is not wound around a round cylinder but around a elliptical cylinder. I have been thinking how to create animation for the elliptical cylinder for these last few weeks, but I haven't got any good result. Thank you very much.

Message 4 of 13
yuhanes

I am sorry, I just realize that Mr Mark could upload videos in these forum by zipping them. In this reply, I upload the videos to explain more clearly about my problem.

I upload two videos that show how the winding coil machine works (My Movie5) and how I made the animation until now (Video).

I would like to ask how to make the animation that show more similar process with the real machine. Is it possible to create such kind of animation using Inventor? 

Message 5 of 13
Mark.Downes

Hi yuhanes,

Your 95% there, see attached if this is what your after

good luck

Mark

Inventor 2014

Capture-02.JPG

Cheers
Mark
Message 6 of 13
yuhanes

Dear Mark Downes

Thank you very much Mr Mark Downes. Your reply was very helpful. However, I still have some inquiries regarding your advice that you gave me.

I have followed the instruction in your attached file of "Ref screen shot" and I still couldn't get the same result with the attached video. On top of that, I also couldn't open the Coil_001 file even I opened it in Inventor 2014. I don't know why it was so. Please check the file that I have created in the attachment. The problem that I had is at the last step in the instruction, i.e. animate the "drive" parameter. After I finished all steps, I moved to inventor studio to do the last step. But the dialog box of animate parameter did not work well, I mean, I could not put value in the start box that make me unable to click OK button as shown in attached picture. Could you please check my file and give me some more details about it. I really need your help.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Yuhanes Dedy

Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@yuhanes wrote:

.... I also couldn't open the Coil_001 file even I opened it in Inventor 2014. I don't know why it was so.

Yuhanes Dedy

Are you absolutely sure you couldn't open it?  What error did you get?

When I opened the file I observed that the red End of Part marker was at the top of the feature tree - hiding all features.

When I dragged the red EOP marker to the bottom of the feature tree - all features appeared.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 13
Mark.Downes

Hi yuhanes,

take a look at the attached pfd and have a go at this. It might make more sence in case you have missed a step.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark

Inventor 2014

Capture-03.JPG

Cheers
Mark
Message 9 of 13
yuhanes

Dear Mark Downes

Good morning Mark. Sorry for the late reply. I just would like to inform you that I have completed the project successfully and I want to let you know that I can make it because of your great help. Thanks a lot. I love autodesk because there are great people like you who are very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,

Dedy

Message 10 of 13

How did you do this, what is an option i can't find it.

Message 11 of 13

Hi! Mark already attach the files. Please take a look at the files and see if you can reproduce the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 13

Well i downloaded the files, but i do not understand something, did he animate a parameter using inventor studio?

Message 13 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: dacagligorijevic

@dacagligorijevic wrote:

... did he animate a parameter using inventor studio?

Attach the *.ipt file of your attempt here.

Animate Parameter.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report