Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy subassembly to create similar but different subassembly

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
schnautza
7490 Views, 2 Replies

How to copy subassembly to create similar but different subassembly

Here is what I am trying to do (in Inventor Pro 2014,64 bit):

I've made an stairs assembly that contains adaptive parts that are all controlled by the assembly parameters.

Here is my assembly and the controlling parameters. The stringers on the side are made with the frame generator and use the "extend" feature to get the appropriate length, as driven by the parameters. The reason I used frame generator is so that I can easily change sizes of the stringers down the road, if needed.  I chose to make the parts associative so I could control all of the parameters from within the assembly instead of opening each part separately.

stair.pngbrowsingtree.pngparameters.png

My goal now is to be able to use this assembly (or something similar) as a template to create new sets of stairs, all to be placed in the same main assembly.

I attempted to duplicate all of the parts (append a "2" at the end of each file name and replace components in the new set of stairs with the 2nd version) but ran into problems with the two stringers. I can't figure out what to do to get the Frame00001 and Skeleton00001 to reassociate to Frame00002 and Skeleton00002. So any time I change my slope, the original stairs will end up trying to copy the new stringers instead of keeping the old ones.

So my question is, how can I make this assembly reference a new frame, and secondly, is there an easier way to do this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
PaulMunford
in reply to: schnautza

1. Yes - it would be easier to do this using the Derive tools.
http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/assembly-techniques-for-woodworkers-the-multi-body-master...

2. Copying assemblies is not straight forward 😞
Here's some tips...
http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/the-secrets-of-copying-assembly-files/

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 3
schnautza
in reply to: PaulMunford

The second link helped - I used the Design Assistant to create a new copy and all components mapped out perfectly. The stringers can still be changed using the Frame Generator, as well as all parameters.

A bit klunkier of a process than I would like, but it sure beats drawing this from scratch every time I need stairs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report