Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to constrain a line to the center of curve (3D sketch)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
diaz8793
822 Views, 9 Replies

How to constrain a line to the center of curve (3D sketch)

I'm new at using 3D sketches and am having some trouble with it. Here's what I have so far:

1.jpg

I made a bunch of lines, then used the bend command to make curves where they intersected. I'm trying to put lines connecting A to C and B to D. How do I constrain the ends of the lines to the center of the curves?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: diaz8793

Attach your file here.

There is a way with chord and sketch points, but I suspect there might be an even easier way depending on your geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
diaz8793

Attached is the assembly file for the frame and the associated sketch.

Message 4 of 10
diaz8793

Whoops, wrong file. This is the edited one with the bends.

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

Well, I was all prepared to show you how to do the line in 3d sketch as you requested - but you are doing wayyyyyyyyyy too much work.  All of your work is planar - recreate this as 2d sketches.  Farrrrrrrrrrr easier to create and especially to edit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I assume you are going to Frame Generator with this.

You don't need these corners as Inventor will snap to the points.

3d sketch.PNG

For the rest - I would do a 2D sketch on the top, front and side planes and then project to offset planes as needed all as 2d sketches.  This particular design is very easy.  2D sketch dimensions can be edited with simple double click.

On Monday I am going over Frame Generator in my class.  I will have my students re-design this as 2D sketches to demonstrate how I would model this frame.

Message 7 of 10
diaz8793

I was considering that but I figured it was easier this way. What if I want to make a line that requires 3D. For example, one that is on the xy plane, but has a bend in the -z and -y direction? Is there a way to dimension 3D lines in the x, y and z directions seperately?

Also, how do you make lines in 3D sketches properly. I've been self-teaching myself about 3D sketches because I was unable to find a tutorial.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 10
diaz8793

I'll try to redesign it in 2D and see how far I get.

Which corners are you referring to?

Message 9 of 10
JDMather

@diaz8793 wrote:

I've been self-teaching myself about 3D sketches because I was unable to find a tutorial.

Thanks.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%202011%20Tutorial%2014.pdf

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

@diaz8793 wrote:

I'll try to redesign it in 2D and see how far I get.

Which corners are you referring to?

I highlighted on of the two as red in the image I attached.  Of course the mirror image corner in not really needed in 3D sketch either as Frame Generator will allow you to select the endpoints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report