Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change material of Contentent Center Parts

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
EABell
378 Views, 6 Replies

How to change material of Contentent Center Parts

How can I do this in Iventror 2014?  Also, I downloaded an Inventor model of a Bimba stainless steel pneumatic cylinder and the material is the default 1.0 g/cm^3.  I would like to change this to stainless steel so at least my assembly weight is correct.  When I open any of the individula components everythig in the ribbon is grayed out and I can't edit it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: EABell

Is this a part model or an assembly?  Either way, if you open it or place it from thr CC, it will be read only.  You have two options:

1. Open the model from the CC "As Custom", and save it someplace.  Then open if from that location, and you should be able to edit the material and anything else you need.  Save the file.  Now edit the part in the CC, right click on the family and select Replace Family Template, then select the modified part as the new family template.  

2. You can edit the family table in the CC and add a column called Material which is mapped to Inventor Property Project.Material.  Then select the material you want, and when you place the part from the CC, the material iproperty on the part will take that value.

In either case, if you have instances of this part places anywhere already, you will need to refresh them to take on the changes.

Message 3 of 7
EABell
in reply to: cbenner

thank you for the answer to the first part of my question.  Now if someone could help me with the second part regarding changing the material of the Bimba cylinder parts from default to stainless.  I have attached a screen shot that showes the ribbon grayed out.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Attach the file here and end all doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
EABell
in reply to: JDMather

Here it is.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

Since this is an off-the-shelf part, can't you simple save as STEP file and open the STEP file to add material properties?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
EABell
in reply to: JDMather

I saved it as a stp file changed the material.  When I tried to save it as an ipt Inventor would not let me replace the original file so I just added an x at the end of the name and I am on my way.  Thanks everyone for the help.

Ed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report