Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
Barvas11
Message 1 of 5 (258 Views)

How to change a BOM structure of library parts

258 Views, 4 Replies
06-25-2013 02:32 AM

Hi Guys,

The BOM structure of the library parts is set up as "purchased" and I cannot change it for some reason..... is there any way to change this? 

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 2 of 5 (249 Views)

Re: How to change a BOM structure of library parts

06-25-2013 04:19 AM in reply to: Barvas11

Barvas11 wrote:

Hi Guys,

The BOM structure of the library parts is set up as "purchased" and I cannot change it for some reason..... is there any way to change this? 

Thanks

You will need to copy the item to a read/write library so you have access to modify the parts.  Are you using Vault or desktop Content?  If you already have a custom library, just right click on the part and select Sace Copy As, then follow the prompts.

Once you have the parts in a read/write library, Open from Content Center.  Pick the file you want to modify, be sure to check "As Custom", and select a size, if necessary, from the table.  Save the file in some working directory somewhere.  Once it is open, go to Tools\Document Settings\Bill of Materials and change the BOM structure there.

Save the file.  Go to Content Center editor (Manage tab), find the part in the read/write library.  Right click on it and select Replace Family Template, then find the file you just changed.  Select that, it should think for a minute and tell you the libraby has been sucessfully updated... or some words like that.

You will have to do this for any standard Content Center part that you want to modify.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Valued Contributor
Barvas11
Message 3 of 5 (238 Views)

06-25-2013 05:13 AM in reply to: Barvas11

thanks dude,

Looking at the outlined procedure I have go thru I will rather turn all unwanted parts to "reference". I can do that in the master assembly as soon as it's checked out.

There are so many little bugs in Inventor and that really annoys me!

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 4 of 5 (235 Views)

06-25-2013 05:33 AM in reply to: Barvas11

You are so right when it comes to all the4 little things that need to be done to get what you ultimately need.

One thing you can also do is in your part models under the tools>document settings

bom.PNG

is change the default BOM structure here, so that when they show up in your drawing BOM they come in correctly.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Contributor
jeamy.baena
Message 5 of 5 (169 Views)

10-04-2013 09:26 AM in reply to: Barvas11

Hi, Experts

How can I do that, but for multiple parts at once?

Workaround: Insert all parts into a new assembly, and use BOM editor to change this.

Do you know other way to do this or Do I need a macro here?

Thanks!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube