Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Sketch a Circle in the XZ plane?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
TheRockn-Roll
7106 Views, 4 Replies

How to Sketch a Circle in the XZ plane?

I'm trying Inventor and want to sketch a circle in the XZ plane.  But, every time I sketch a circle Inventor puts it in the Front view on the XY plane.  I'm trying to sketch a circle in the Top view on the XZ plane.  According to the Help the procedure is "To create a circle, select a part face or work plane to use as the sketch plane."

Here's my steps:

1) Start up Inventor.

2) Click New in the Launch section.

3) Double Click Standard (in).ipt in the New File dialog.

4) Change the View to Top and select the XZ Plane in the Origin tree of the Model properties window.  (The XZ Plane is displayed and is selected).

5) Click Circle in the Draw section.

6) Click the green dot in the center of the drawing area.

7) Type the number 1 then press Enter.

I've tried Rotate in the Modify section, but it says Check Constraint Settings for Sketch Edit Tools.  Clicking the help for this message is not helpful.  In fact, all of the Help information appears to have been written with marketing in mind...there's no Step-By-Step instructions on how to use Inventor.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: TheRockn-Roll

I would start by doing the built in tutorials and then when JD comes along, follow his likes to his stuff.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: rdyson

>4) Change the View to Top and select the XZ Plane in the Origin tree of the Model properties window.  (The XZ Plane is displayed and is selected).

This doesn't mean you have changed the sketch plane - only the view.

Sounds like you are still in the previous sketch rather than starting a new sketch on the desired plane. 
Right Mouse button Finish Sketch.  Start a new sketch on desired plane.  (expand origin geometry first)

Go through the Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials

and

read this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: TheRockn-Roll

>...there's no Step-By-Step instructions on how to use Inventor.

Inventor is an expensive, professional program and deserves a professional level of training.  Ever considered a class?

Sketching would be covered in the first half hour.
My guess is Rob Cohee probably has a few step-by-step videos on YouTube.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

While I agree that  learning is essential, if I may suggest something.

What's happening is that when you open a new file, it is opened and you're automatically put into the sketch mode.

This sketch is in one of the 3 available planes, X-Y, X-Z or Y-Z. Which one depends on the default setting of Inventor.

Not a bad thing, unless you want your sketch to start on a different plane.

Here is what I'd do. Under Tools - Application Options - Part - Sketch on new part creation, check the No new sketch.

What this will do is when you open a new part, you will be forced to select a New sketch and along with it to select a plane on which to sketch on.

Making a guess here that you're used to the Solidworks environment where Top/front/right means not only your views but also how to lay out your model. I always hated that.

In Inventor top/front/bottom/right/left/back is completely independent of the planes. At any time you can redefine the front view while retaining the planes on which the sketches were based on.

Makes a whole lot of sense to me, but of course I could be wrong.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report