Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Preview PTC Creo Files 2.0

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
superfunnytogo
1667 Views, 6 Replies

How to Preview PTC Creo Files 2.0

Hello,

I am using a library of PTC Creo 2.0 .prt and .asm files.  I was wondering how I could see a preview of these files when adding them to an assembly.  The library has misleading names and I need to see a preview.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pcrawley
in reply to: superfunnytogo

Use Task Scheduler to convert them to Inventor IPT and IAM files.  Then you'll get your previews Smiley Wink

Most applications (like Inventor) add something to Windows Explorer that enables thumbnail previews.  Creo probably does the same if you have it installed.  If you don't have it installed, it might explain the lack of thumbnails.  (If you're interested, I just discovered the Foxit PDF reader enables thumbnails of PDF's in Windows Explorer - something I have struggled with for years.)

Peter
Message 3 of 7
superfunnytogo
in reply to: pcrawley

How do I use the Task Schedueler to convert the files

Message 4 of 7
pcrawley

Sorry, not in front of PC now, but Task Scheduler is on the start menu in Windows in the Inventor 20??\Tools Folder.

Create a new "Import files" task - select the folder of import files, a destination folder, set the import file type to ProE option and the export to *.iam & *.ipt

Run "immediately". If you have a multi-core prosseor, on the options menu, you can pick how many cores to run the task on - and selecting all will make it much faster.
Peter
Message 5 of 7
superfunnytogo

Ok so I did that and it converted the files so the file type is an inventor file and the html output says success, but the files are still named .prt and do not show a preview

Message 6 of 7
pcrawley

Slight misunderstanding here.  

You've created Inventor IPT and IAM files from your Creo files.  Use this library of IPT's and IAM's for your Inventor work because you can see the thumbnails.  You don't need the Creo files any more.  

As I put in my first post, you probably need Creo installed to be able to see thumbnails of Creo files.

Peter
Message 7 of 7
superfunnytogo

Im sorry I explained poorly, I fully converted the ptc creo files to inventor files, the NEWLY CONVERTED FILES still have the .prt extension and have no preview

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums