Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Emboss different "Part Number" on iPart

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
zdhrichard
1983 Views, 13 Replies

How to Emboss different "Part Number" on iPart

I created an iPart which includes 10 or more different part. I need put the part number (text) on the surface (could use emboss or extrude). When I change the part, I need the embossed or extruded part number can be changed automaticly.

What should I do?

Rich

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018 (64 Bit Edition)
Build: 284, Release 2018.3
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645
12.0 GB Memory
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: zdhrichard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5a8IYyxFLo

http://opendesignproject.org/Inventor/iLogic/Text_Manipulation/index.php

They sure don't make it easy do they..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
zdhrichard

Thanks.

I believe it is the way what I want.

But I think Inventor need to be 2011 version.

Unfortunately, my Inventor is just in 2009.

Anyother way we can do so?

Rich

12.0 GB Memory
Message 4 of 14
scottmoyse
in reply to: mcgyvr

i didn't think you could use iLogic in conjunction with iParts and iAssemblies

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 14
zdhrichard
in reply to: scottmoyse

You are right.

Now, I can engrave correct P/N in iPart, but when I put it into iAssembly, the engrave is changed to the active one. Do you have any solution to solve this issue?

Rich

12.0 GB Memory
Message 6 of 14
tmaxwelljr

Did you ever find a Solution to this? I've trying to do the same thing. But when I insert the part into my assembly and choose the version I want, it does not update accordingly. Then when I open the part I inserted, the iLogic is gone, and my Text parameter is gone, but my Numeric parameter is still there and changed accordingly.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 14
zdhrichard
in reply to: tmaxwelljr

I am using iLogic to solve the issue instead of iPart now. So I suggest you move to iLogic.
Rich

12.0 GB Memory
Message 8 of 14
zdhrichard
in reply to: tmaxwelljr

I am using iLogic to solve the issue instead of iPart now. So I suggest you move to iLogic.

In fact, we use iPart to create standard part without Engrave, but use iLogic to create non-standard part with different engrave.

If you do want to use iPart with engrave, you need generate all member at first then put the member in your assembly instead, I think.

Rich

12.0 GB Memory
Message 9 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Indeed, lack of the ability to add text parameter on iPart author table is making this task difficult. There is actually a "hidden" workflow to use iPart and iLogic to make it work.

As you know well, text parameter cannot be added to the author table. However, Custom iProperty is available. What you can do is to create a Custom iProperty acting like a text source. Then use iLogic to equate the property value to the text parameter consumed by a text sketch and the Emboss. Simply add the property to author table. You will be able to specify member-specific text! Make sure you add "iLogicVb.UpdateWhenDone = True" at the end of the rule. And, the rule should be triggered when iProperty is changed and before the file is saved.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14
JBEDsol
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I'm trying to do this but I've not idea why the illogic wont work.  Any words of advice?

Message 11 of 14
JaneFan
in reply to: JBEDsol

Hi @JBEDsol , 

Event trigger in iPrat factory file doesn't work well when trying to using iPart member file in this way. 

Here is a workaround using iLogic directly: Delete iPart table, set the user parameter Wording to multiple value list, then use the parameter to drive the emboss feature directly. 

In Assembly, use Place iLogic Component instead of Place component.

Here is a short video for your reference: https://autode.sk/2xbJtA5

Jane Fan
Inventor QA Engineer
Message 12 of 14
MakkaPakka

Hi

This problem cropped up with me recently when I had to make a number of engraved labels to put in my assemblies. Tried the iLogic solution, it works but you have no subsequent global control of the labels thus produced. If say you wanted to make a change later on to a set of labels for size or font etc you would have to generate & manually place all the labels again. The emboss feature in an iPart is a no-go either simply because you have to create an emboss & sketch for each label text then suppress all the other emboss features in the iPart table. If you have many labels this is very time consuming. Anyway I have a method that uses an iPart table which uses one dimension variable to control the text that appears on the label. It uses the extrude command to produce the text as emboss will not work with this method:
1. Create your label part
2. Add a sketch to your label surface.
3. Create a text box & type all your label texts into it in the form of a vertical list.
4. Set the text spacing in the text box to an exact value (this will depend on your label height - you can work it out from your label size and text spacing - see next steps)
5. Set the justification of your text to top middle
6. While in the text sketch, RMB the text and click off the 'Text box' tick. This will make a green dot appear top middle of the text you can use in the next step.
7. Draw a construction line (constrained vertically) from the middle of your label to the dot in the top middle of your text.
8. Dimension the line created in step 7. Set it to the value that brings the first line of your text into the middle of your label. Then test it out by adjusting the dim value typing different numbers by adding multiples of the value set in step 4. Your text should move up and down over the label accordingly. Now you will see where this is going.
9. Exit the text sketch & create an extrude feature of the text cutting into your label (or out if you want an emboss effect).
10. Create an iPart table bringing in a column for the dimension created in step 8.
11. Enter into the table all the values for the vertical dim increasing in value by the amount set in step 4. Opening the table in excel is good for this as you can auto fill the sequence adding the increment from step 4.
12. Close your iPart table then test it out by double clicking members in the table and observe the text changing.

Message 13 of 14
MakkaPakka
in reply to: MakkaPakka

Apologies: Error in Step 9, ignore the words in brackets - it doesn't do emboss, only engrave.

Message 14 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Model States and iLogic can help this case.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report