Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the origin in a 2d sketch determined?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
donovandigital
1937 Views, 21 Replies

How is the origin in a 2d sketch determined?

It seems no matter how much I futz around with planes, axes, and work points, ssoner or later I will make a 2d drawing and find that the origin (which is what I am assuming the intersection of the gray lines are) is not where I need it to be. How does Inventor decide where to put it? Can I change it manually from within the sketch somehow? I realize I can move the UCS but of course that will affect everything else, right?

Many thanks in advance

Joe

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: donovandigital

Can you attach an example file (and indicate why you would change position)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 22
Cadmanto

Joe,

Any chance this is a imported part/assembly file we are talking about?  Check out this link.

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/06/change-origin-of-imported-model.html

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 22
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

tools...application options..sketch tab.. check "autoproject part origin on sketch create"

Then when you create a sketch the "center point" is projected for you to use..

My first sketch is usually a rectangle or circle and I always make sure the center of my rectangle (using the newish 2 point rectangle tool) or the center of my circle is constrainted to that projected center point. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 22
rmerlob

I know what you mean, whe you select a face for a new sketch it sometimes places the origin on one of the edges and aligns axes to the edges as well, I find it annoying too, exit the sketch right click it and select ´´edit coordinate system´´ and you will get a glyph that let´s you relocate it.

RM

BTW: the ´´project part origin on sketch creation´´ is useful but won´t actually move the sketch´s coordinates to it.

Message 6 of 22
donovandigital
in reply to: JDMather

Consider sketch 22. This is meant to be pushed out to an assembly, and is therefore not ultra organized. The origin in sketch 22 appears to be at bottom left. I would settle at least for the y axis to be centered, but the general idea is to put zero at the center of the cube face. I manually set ucs to the bottom center of the cube before creating the sketch.

Thanks again

Joe

Message 7 of 22
donovandigital
in reply to: Cadmanto

Nope, sorry, I am referring to defining a new sketch.

Message 8 of 22
donovandigital
in reply to: mcgyvr

Was already checked by default. In fact, the origin is correctly projected as a geometric pont (should be in my attachment in reply to jdmather) but the gray lines (again, I am assuming these are the 2d axes) are incorrect. 

Message 9 of 22
donovandigital
in reply to: rmerlob

Exactly

Message 10 of 22
JDMather

@donovandigital wrote:
....(which is what I am assuming the intersection of the gray lines are) is not where I need it to be.  

I think I did not fully understand your problem description.  I never ever have the Tools>Application Options>Sketch tab Axes turned on (see Tip #3 http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf) so I have never ever needed them to be in a particular location.  I assume by "gray lines" you are referring to the Sketch>Axes.

I thought your question might be about a more interesting problem that a user posted here several months ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 22
donny

Not sure if this was stated already,

What I normally do is create two lines (construction type) along the "grey lines" Inventor puts and then constrain them vertical / horizontal / ect.. So that I have something I can build my sketch from and I know it will remain the origin no matter what happens because I build the rest of the sketch around the lines I made.

Message 12 of 22
donovandigital

Ok, but then, how is the origin of the extruded solid determined? If not from these axes?

Message 13 of 22
rmerlob

Aren't the origins of a solid the same as the part file's origins?
Message 14 of 22
LT.Rusty
in reply to: rmerlob

I'm not 100% positive, but I suspect that he's asking more about how Inventor determines horizontal / vertical in a 2D sketch.  I know this is something I've wondered about as well ... I'd love it if a vertical constraint was ALWAYS up / down, and a horizonal constraint was ALWAYS left / right.  As it is, when I put a sketch on anything other than the actual XY / XZ origin planes, it's a crap shoot whether a horizontal or a vertical constraint will be the one that I need, and I'm really bad at rolling the dice.  I'd love a way to predict this as well.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 15 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:
... it's a crap shoot whether a horizontal or a vertical constraint will be the one that I need....

Well, if you do have the axes visible, the thicker one is Horizontal.
I don't worry about it, if I guess wrong I simply undo and select the other option.

Message 16 of 22
LT.Rusty

Yeah, that's what I do too - I just wish that it was more consistent, that's all. I find myself undoing and redoing my horizontal and vertical constraints far too often, and then I wind up with sketches where it's all skewed and horizontal / vertical are not in any rational relation to the UCS at all.

If your sketch plane is not perpendicular to the Y-axis, then - in my opinion - vertical should ALWAYS be parallel to the Y-axis, and horizontal should ALWAYS be perpendicular to it. If you are perpendicular to the Y, then Z should always be vertical and X horizontal, no matter how you placed your sketch.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 17 of 22
donovandigital
in reply to: donny

That sounds really smart, I will go with that next time

Message 18 of 22
donny

It was an idea I had when I first got into Inventor. It helps if you draw the construction lines in a sketch and close it so they reside alone. Then build your part in a new sketch. Just a nice way to get a true origin to work from and maintain design intent ect with multiple parts.
Message 19 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: donny

@Donny wrote:
Just a nice way to get a true origin to work from

There already is a true origin that can't be deleted.

Message 20 of 22
ksanger

It would help if Inventor did not change the axis between sketches within the same part.  I put down a circle and an intersecting rectangle.  When I change the size of the circle the rectangle rotated the axis.  Now I can't align the part to the view, its no longer in my XYZ frame of "mind".  Plus the additional sketches that I want to do are all rotated from the original.  What a pain.  In the you know what.  Also a big waste of my time.  I must be using the wrong tools.

Or I don't know what I've done wrong. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report