Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the MITER command work?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
elmotors
2231 Views, 6 Replies

How does the MITER command work?

I have four square bars to make a rectangular frame.  I was hoping the Miter command would chamfer the ends to make 45 degree miters.  When I click on Miter, I get the window but I cannot select any of the bars, either in the graphics window or in the browser.  The OK button is always greyed out (unselected). 

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: elmotors

@elmotors wrote:

I have four square bars to make a rectangular frame.  I was hoping the Miter command would chamfer the ends to make 45 degree miters.  When I click on Miter, I get the window but I cannot select any of the bars, either in the graphics window or in the browser.  The OK button is always greyed out (unselected). 

Dumb question... was your frame built using the Frame Generator?

Message 3 of 7
elmotors
in reply to: cbenner

No, never used FG.  Can you elaborate without adjectives?  Thanks. 

Message 4 of 7
blair

It is a specific tool for use within Frame-Gen. It pretty much does what you are looking for but is specific to the Frame Generator module. http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-DDC54112-F131-4612-AA0A-1264FB5E210F

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue

It sounds like you want to use Frame Generator command on non-Frame members. But, I am not 100% sure without seeing the files. To avoid confusion, could you post the simple example here?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
elmotors
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Basically yes.  Since I got into this I have looked into Frame Generator and I can see how it would work.  I was trying to miter bars that I had created through extrusions.  Since I played with Frame Generator a bit, I have found that the sizes available (in this case square tubing) is somewhat limited and does not include the particular size I was looking for (1 x 1 x.125 with round corners).  I think I will grunt through the regular way of modeling this frame.

Thanks for the help.  It would be a desirable feature to have this Miter command be applicable to other shapes other that those generated through the Frame Generator.

Message 7 of 7
blair

Copy this file into your directory: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Content Center\Libraries

Then add it to your Project and then Migrate it. It will have some smaller HSS members

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report