Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you model flexible hoses?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
AnthonyPaul2010
13828 Views, 14 Replies

How do you model flexible hoses?

Hi learned Colleagues,

I have never modelled hydraulic hoses and I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

In particular I’d like to model hydraulic hoses that are flexible and can change with different position representations.

Is it possible?

Anthony Paul (from Cairns, North Queensland, Australia)

Product Design Suite
Inventor Premium 2012 - SP1 Installed
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
Windows 7 Professional 64
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
AMD FirePro M5950 Graphics Card
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

I do 3D hoses all the time.  There is a LOT of info buried in what I'm about to tell you and took a LOT of experimentation to define the process.

3D hoses require 2 sketches, a 2D sketch for the hose profile and a 3D sketch for the hose run.  You can define the run in the context of the assembly by including geometry in the 3D sketch.

Positional representations won't work for different runs of the same hose because they require a dimensional override.  LODs work better with respect to your drawing parts list.

Tube and Pipe should work for you too, but might require some work with Content Center first.  There was also some functionality issues that made the module difficult to use, at least for my application.

Post back if you get stuck.

Steve Bahr...since 1962.
in reply to: Steve_Bahr

It's much easier to use the Flexible Hose within the Pipe & Tube module. You may find it easier to copy an existing hose style and edit it to fit your own hose type/diameter than creating a new flexible hose style from scratch.

As fore mentioned, there is a lot of reading material supplied (PDF) with Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 15

Thanks Steve and Blair for your response.

Unfortunately I don't have the pipe and tube add-on so it looks like I'm going to have to give Steve's solution a go.

Is the pipe and tube add-on worth having? I might enquire with our reseller as to how much it costs and assess value for money.

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 5 of 15
blair
in reply to: AnthonyPaul2010

We do a lot with flexible hose for all our air/control lines as well as hydraulic lines. I can probably do over 20 flexible lines in the Pipe/Tube module compared to a single line using the 3D sketch tool. Try searching on YouTube for inventor AVI's you should be able to watch something about the Tube/Pipe module

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 15
AnthonyPaul2010
in reply to: blair

I just contacted our reseller to get a quotation on the module and I was told I had to upgrade to either professional or ultimate for around 6-7k AUD. I couldn't justify that as I don't do that many flexible hoses.

Which country are you from Blair?

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 7 of 15
blair

Canada:

53d57m18s North - 122d45m54s West to be exact

Blair

and you?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 15
blair

This is a old hydraulic run for a customer to retro his equipment. A add-hoc system to get him by. Wouldn't want to do this without the Tube-Pipe module.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 15
AnthonyPaul2010

That image of the hoses looks awsome. I'd love to get that type of detail into my models.

I'm in Cairns, North Queensland, Australia. Our company designs and constructs mining equipment.

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 10 of 15
blair

That only took about 5 minutes to do it in the Tube/Pipe module. It even placed the fittings, the minimum radius comes from the T&P Styles library for each size of hose.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 15
AnthonyPaul2010

Hey Blair can you tell me where I could get a library of hydraulic tube and hose fitting from. Unfortunately I'm going to have to do it the long way but it would still save some time if I can have a content library of commercially available fittings etc.

Product Design Suite
HP 8760w I7-740M Laptop
12 Gb DDR SDRAM
Message 12 of 15
blair

Inventor should have the Parker-Hanifin library, you may need to install it from the install package.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 15

I would like to ask about this also. How easy/difficult is it to modify the "Parker Hydraulic Hose" flexible hose to give me a 3" diameter? It only has up to 2 inches right now. I love tube and pipe in inventor, but i don't know all the ins and outs yet.

Thanks In advance.

Message 14 of 15
blair

Here's a quick copy/paste from a previous post: It's for copying a Pipe Fiiting library to a Stainless, but the same steps are involved. (assuming you have your CC library installed locally)

If you don't already have a custom writeable CC library, then you need to create one.  You have to do this from the vault server ADMS console.  Once you are logged in to that, you can right-click on the libraries and create a new one.

If you already have a custom writeable CC library, then you are good to go.

Next, you have to make sure that this library (new or not) is available in your project file.  In Inventor, go to the projects editor, select your project file, then click on the Configure Content Center Libraries in the bottom right corner (just above the Done button).  This will pull up a list of available CC libraries.  Make sure the writeable custom library is checked.

Once your writeable library is available, then go to Manage tab > Content Center panel > Content Center Editor.  This will launch the editor window that looks similar to the place from CC window.  This is where what Blair said comes in.  Find the fitting that is closest to what you need.  In your case, that's probably the ASME 16.9 butt-welded fittings, since they are the only ANSI butt-welded option.  Right-click the part family and choose Copy To > [whatever you named your custom library].  This will copy the entire part family with its family table and folder structure into your library.  You can then edit it to your heart's content.

In this case, you will want to edit the family table and change the material, the wall thicknesses, change the schedule designation if you want it to show the "S", filename, part number, description, and anything else I forgot.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 15

http://grabcad.com/library/tutorial-how-to-make-flexible-hose-wire-by-autodesk-inventor
Carthik Babu M.S, Asst Manager - Machine Building,
Gabriel India Ltd,Hosur, TN, INDIA
Email:carthik_ms@yahoo.co.in ,
https://grabcad.com/carthik-1/projects
"May all beings be happy" http://www.dhamma.org/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report