Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you delete a workspace

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
divingdoug
1212 Views, 12 Replies

How do you delete a workspace

After I figured out how to delete a project (why not just have a delete button in the Project Dialog box)  that I didn't want created in the first place (apparently some missed option in the pack&go process) I now cannot delete the incredibly convoluted wokspace folder structure it created.

I deleted the project shortcut as was posted somewhere else and it no longer shows up in the Project dialog box.  However, the workspace it created cannot be deleted.  I had even removed the workspace from the project before I got rid of it.

I simply get a windows error that it cannot delete the folder(s).  I am an admin of this entire folder structure and everything beneath it.

I have opened and closed inventor making sure the project is still not in existence.  I have verified the workspace is not listed under any other project.  No other user has been to this folder or opened any files even closely related to my work.

What do I need to do here?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: divingdoug

1. Shut down Inventor, then try it again.

2. Restart computer and try again.

Message 3 of 13
divingdoug

Nope and Nope.

Any other suggestions ?

In IV 2012 on XP if that makes  diff

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Can you post a shot of the Windows error?

Message 5 of 13
divingdoug
in reply to: Anonymous

Workspace_Error.jpg

Basic windows error

Message 6 of 13
blair

Check the permissions and security on the folder. It might be set to Read Only or the security permissions might be messed up.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Take ownership of the folder.

Message 8 of 13
divingdoug

Already had verified permissions were open (not read only)

I am already the owner of the folder

Still can't delete it

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Do you have full control in permissions?

Is the folder shared?

Message 10 of 13
divingdoug

I can create / modify / delete any other folder / file in the entire drive.  I don't believe this to be a windows driven issue.

I am going to try to delete it from another computer and see what happens.

Otherwise, I guess I will just learn to live with it.  And be very careful to not create workspaces going forward.

Message 11 of 13
LT.Rusty

(edit, as somehow I wound up with a completely blank post)

Try deleting it from a DOS prompt?  Make sure you right click and select "run as administrator" when you start the DOS prompt.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
blair

You may have deleted the IPJ short cut, but did you delete the actual IPJ file it'self?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 13
divingdoug

I had indeed deleted the actual IPJ file.

I had another user in my dept (same level of full permissions as me) try to delete the workspace (folder structure) and he was able to.

Even though it was created through IV on my system and I was the owner, IV must have put some bizzare permission on it that exclusively blocked me from doing anything with it.

I am not even going to try and contemplate why.

Thanks for the replies nonetheless

Doug

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report