Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do representations handle sketches?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
tmchenry
238 Views, 1 Reply

How do representations handle sketches?

My actual question is a bit different from the subject question.  I'm trying to employ a technique that I've used with SolidWorks, so there may be a better way in Inventor to do what I'm trying to do.  But let me explain what I'm trying to do and perhaps someone call tell me a better way.

I'm working on a project with several engineers doing design work on a large assembly.  The way I've seen this handled in a SolidWorks shop is to create a master assembly with sketches on the principal planes that define envelopes for sub assemblies, interface dimensions, and so on.  Each engineer can have the master assembly in their sub assembly, as a guide.  Where I've used this before, it has helped with integrating the sub assemblies later on.

Here's the complication:  There are several different "families" of the product that require different dimensions on the master sketches.  What I had hoped to do in Inventor was use view representations or level of detail representation to control the visibility of these "families" of master sketches.  When an engineer includes the master assembly in his sub assembly he could then easily turn on the "family" he wants to see.  But it turns out that neither view representations nor level of detail representations influence the visibility of sketches.  (Position representations don't, either.)  Sketches are either visible or not visible, regardless of which representation you're in.

This seriously compromises my strategy because it will be way too jumbled to have all the sketches visible at once, but it will also be way too cumbersome to manually make visible the ones you want to see.

Is there some way I can control the visibility of sketches, in groups?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
yannicknielsen
in reply to: tmchenry

If you know who's gonna need what, you can name the sketches properly. Ie. Eng. Sketch 1. Eng. Sketch 2. Dwg. Sketch 1.

When you derive the master part, each person can easily choose what sketches are relevant to him.

And different dimensioning on the same master level sketch is not possible.

I have heard that you can have multiple versions and sizes within the same document in SolidWorks. You can't do that in Inventor. It's either one or the other, which means, if you want both, you need two sketches with different dimensioning.

You can also create a master with a ton of sketches, and let the individual person derive them all, and hide the ones he doesn't need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report