Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I represent a door swing in an idw?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jpblower
2653 Views, 7 Replies

How do I represent a door swing in an idw?

I would like to add a door to the model but show the top view as a door swing.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: jpblower

Not exactly sure what you are after.. In the architectual world door swing direction is usually indicated by a quarter radius line indicating the path the door will take. like this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M6XpWDrUYOE/SnLrkXBk7oI/AAAAAAAABX8/aQF_si9bdhE/s400/DOOR-SWINGS.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
jtylerbc

How about using a symbol for the swing on the drawing, similar to how you might use a block for it in AutoCAD?

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

You could do this with a Position Rep and a phantom postition Overlay View if you want more than a simple arc as is traditionally done.

I think there is an example in the Arbor Press sample (but alternate position of rack).

Post a simple example assembly here if you have trouble figuring out an appropriate solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 8
stevec781

create a sketch on the drawing view, project the lines for the door edge and convert to construction, draw and arc between the lines.  When you exit sketch the construction lines wont show.

Message 6 of 8

Why dont you create your own symbol in User/Symbols and use it whenever needed? Might require scale change for different views thou.

Message 7 of 8
coreyparks
in reply to: stevec781

You could model the required geometry as an extruded surface and only turn it on in views that you want it to be seen in.  By default it shouldn't show up.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 8 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: coreyparks

Similar to Corey I would just make the arch (just an arch line) in a sketch in the actual door part (not in the idw) and include that sketch when needed in the idw. That way it will move if you move/change the view,etc.. (which I saw you added in a different forum)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report