Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make the profile plane tangential to the conical surface?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
vernehmlassung
2951 Views, 12 Replies

I have the german version of Inventor 2014, so some translations may be different.

I want to project a text on a sketch onto a conical surface. The error message is that the chosen surface wasn't tangential to the profile plane. I found no way to rotate the plane.

How do I project my profile onto the conical surface or 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 3 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: vernehmlassung

My thought is, create a plane out in space parallel to the conical face you want.

Then create an offset surface just recessed from the outside surface.  Then create the text on the plane out in space and project up to the surface.

Should give you what I believe you are describing.  Other then that, like Chris said provide some images.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 13
vernehmlassung
in reply to: cbenner

There you go, pictures are attached.

"My thought is, create a plane out in space parallel to the conical face you want."

Thats the very problem.

Message 5 of 13
CCarreiras

Hi

There's some diferent ways to do that.

I think the easy way is to place a construction plane tangent to the conic face.

Do the sketch in this plane

Use Emboss ("Wrap" option on)

To create the plane, you can select the sketch border line and the conical face.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
vernehmlassung
in reply to: CCarreiras

"I think the easy way is to place a construction plane tangent to the conic face."

Post a picture of how you are trying to do this.

Message 7 of 13
Cadmanto

Creating a plane out in space parallel from one of the standard planes going through the part should not be an issue.

Unless, you don't have any planes going through the center.  I don't see any, but I don't know if you have them all turned on.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 13
vernehmlassung
in reply to: Cadmanto

"Creating a plane out in space parallel from one of the standard planes going through the part should not be an issue."

The problem is rotation.

Message 9 of 13
Cadmanto

Rotation from what?  The surface of the part or rotating the plane once created out in space?  If it is the later, then you might have to create the plane in space first, place an axis on it then create a second plane rotated about the axis to the first plane.

Maybe it would be best to post your part here so one of us could look at it.

Do you have an image of what you want the result to look like?  Like a real life photo?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 13
CCarreiras

Why don't you post the part?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
vernehmlassung
in reply to: Cadmanto

"Maybe it would be best to post your part here so one of us could look at it."

Here's the file. Don't just modify it, I want to know how to do it. 

A video does help best.

Message 12 of 13

Hi vernehmlassung,

Give these clicks a try.

Create a work plane using an Axis and a plane and then set the rotation angle as needed:

Autodesk Inventor Work Plane 1.png

Then create a work point using the circular edge and the new work plane:

Autodesk Inventor Work Plane 2.png

Then create a tangenet work plane by selecting the work point and the face of the part:

Autodesk Inventor Work Plane 3.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 13 of 13

That's a great reply!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report