Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I show threads on a Inventor drawing without shading the view?

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
carbonated
16303 Views, 31 Replies

How can I show threads on a Inventor drawing without shading the view?

What is the technique for showing threads on a Inventor drawing? I have an model with the 3D threads shown but when I switch over to the drawing there are no threads shown. I DO NOT want to shade the views.

I activated the Thread Display toggle button in Edit View but still nothing...not even dashed lines or cosmetic threads such as SolidWorks has.
31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32

It's more of a visual thing on the drawing...

Also, I can't because IT won't fix the "failed to update style" message whenever I try to place a 3d annotation.

Message 22 of 32
ic198
in reply to: Anonymous

It's 2019, we're using Inventor 2020 and this 13-year-old issue is still not resolved?!

Message 23 of 32
mcgyvr
in reply to: ic198

@ic198 wrote:

It's 2019, we're using Inventor 2020 and this 13-year-old issue is still not resolved?!

@ic198  Correct...

Simplified thread representations/details are not shown in isometric views. You can only get the cosmetic representation if you use a shaded isometric view. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 24 of 32
ic198
in reply to: mcgyvr

Unfortunately the paperless office is still a pipe dream at my company and our printer makes a real mess of shaded views...

Message 25 of 32
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: carbonated

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=2540506896683021779&appLang=en&os=Win64

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 26 of 32
WHolzwarth
in reply to: ic198

Right now, I have no time for testing.

But Fusion 360 guys are better off here. They can select between textured threads and modeled threads for 3D print purposes, without an additional app.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 27 of 32
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Hi Guys,

This particular topic seems to come up quite often recently. Inventor was designed before 3D printing was available. Holes and threads were made exclusively by drilling using specialized tools. The drawing representation follows the common standard. For performance reason, the thread is cosmetic without physical geometry.

Now, we have users use 3D printers to print threads. I have never print any part with threads. I am wondering how reliable this workflow is. What is the actual purpose of printed thread? Wouldn't post-process be required to smooth the thread faces? Is it for an one-off part? Or, there are industrial applications doing the same thing?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 28 of 32
ic198
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue 

For performance reason, the thread is cosmetic without physical geometry.

From my point of view I'm happy for it to stay that way. I am not 3D printing threads. I just need a way to show cosmetic threads in isometric views that aren't shaded.

Message 29 of 32

@johnsonshiue yes, 3d printed thread are useful and can be used directly, if your printer is good enough (they do it in the space program!) and we have tested that in our shop.  I wouldn't use it for a production part (yet) but it's feasible for mockups and prototypes for visualizing, directly off the printer.

Message 30 of 32
mcgyvr
in reply to: Telson.Hadden

@johnsonshiue and others..

The topic of this post is about showing some sort of thread representation in an isometric drawing view..

3d printing of threads is NOT what this threads focus should be on or is about. 

Lets not lose focus of the scope of this post..

The cool orange thread modeler got involved because that is one potential workaround... A modeled thread WILL show in isometric views where a cosmetic will not.  There is currently no option to enable a simplified representation of existing cosmetic thread features.

(questions for Johnson specifically)

Is the request logged by Lisa Darrah still something active in the Autodesk system? (not that any of us would think its still useful here 13 years later)

Is an ideastation request the best way to move this need forward?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 31 of 32
Telson.Hadden

@mcgyvr fair point - I'm easily distracted, and 3d printing is cool.

Let's make drawings make sense!  Show threads on ISO views *somehow* without having to add complicated helices to the model.

Message 32 of 32
johnsonshiue

Hi Brian,

At the moment, the most convenient way of generating physical thread is to use coolOrange ThreadMaker tool. We have heard requests turning it into an option in Inventor. But, I am not aware of a plan to do so immediately.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report