Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make a line from a sketch show in a drawing?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Matt336
312 Views, 2 Replies

How can I make a line from a sketch show in a drawing?

I am trying to create an exploded view of some assemblies I've made.  I have drawn a chain line between the parts in the assembly file, but when I place the view of the assembly in a drawing, the line does not show up.  I created the line on a sketch inside the assembly.

I read that Presentation files are the best way to do exploded views but  could not get it to work right away, and I have very limited time to complete this project.  There must be a simple way to just make this line I drew show up, right?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
harco
in reply to: Matt336

Try this help link

Get model sketch

It does say "Only sketches that are parallel to the view can be displayed" so probably won't do what you want if in isometric.

Quick and nasty- draw a sketch on the drawing view > project edges and draw a line between mid points then set line to chain line layer, should give limited update ability.

Message 3 of 3
Matt336
in reply to: harco

Thank you for the reply.

I have been trying to include the model sketches, but you're right.  They do not show up, presumably because it is an isometric view.

I was also trying to do the quick and nasty way you suggested but I was having trouble, because "Project Geometry" was always grayed out.  After reading your suggestion, I tried again and realized what I was doing wrong.  I was picking the view after I clicked the "Create Sketch" button, but it has to be picked first.

So now I have my line showing.  Thank you again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report